Chapter 10: Jonah
SECTION 1: Truth of Revelation
In the name of God,
Most Gracious, Most Merciful.
1. Alif Lām Rā’. These are the Revelation of the Book of Wisdom. 2. Is it a matter of wonderment to men that We have sent Our inspiration to a man from among themselves? - that he should warn mankind (of their danger), and give the good news to the Believers that they have before their Lord the lofty rank of Truth. (But) say the Unbelievers: “This is indeed an evident sorcerer!” 3. Verily your Lord is God, Who created the heavens and the earth in six days, and is firmly established on the Throne (of authority), regulating and governing all things. No intercessor (can plead with Him) except after His leave (has been obtained). This is God your Lord; Him therefore you serve: will you not receive admonition? 4. To Him will be your return - of all of you. The promise of God is true and sure. It is He Who begins the process of creation, and repeats it, that He may reward with justice those who believe and work righteousness; but those who reject Him will have draughts of boiling fluids, and a Penalty grievous, because they did reject Him. 5. It is He Who made the sun to be a shining glory and the moon to be a light (of beauty), and measured out stages for her; that you might know the number of years and the count (of time). Nowise did God create this but in truth and righteousness. (Thus) does He explain His Signs in detail, for those who understand. 6. Verily, in the alternation of the night and the day, and in all that God has created, in the heavens and the earth, are Signs for those who fear Him.
7. Those who rest not their hope on their meeting with Us, but are pleased and satisfied with the life of the present, and those who heed not Our Signs, - 8. Their abode is the Fire, because of the (evil) they earned. 9. Those who believe, and work righteousness, - their Lord will guide them because of their Faith: beneath them will flow rivers in Gardens of bliss. 10. (This will be) their cry therein: “Glory to You, O God!” and “Peace” will be their greeting therein! And the close of their cry will be: “Praise be to God, the Cherisher and Sustainer of the Worlds!”
To Him will be your return - of all of you. The promise of God is true and sure... (10:4)
SECTION 2: Punishment of Rejection
11. If God were to hasten for men the ill (they have earned) as they would fain hasten on the good, - then would their respite be settled at once. But We leave those who rest not their hope on their meeting with Us, in their trespasses, wandering in distraction to and fro. 12. When trouble touches a man, he cries unto Us (in all postures)—lying down on his side, or sitting, or standing. But when We have solved his trouble, he passes on his way as if he had never cried to Us for a trouble that touched him! Thus do the deeds of transgressors seem fair in their eyes!
13. Generations before you We destroyed when they did wrong: their messengers came to them with clear Signs, but they would not believe! Thus do We requite those who sin! 14. Then We made you heirs in the land after them, to see how you would behave! 15. But when Our clear Signs are rehearsed unto them, those who rest not their hope on their meeting with Us, say: “Bring us a Reading other than this, or change this,” say: “It is not for me, of my own accord, to change it: I follow naught but what is revealed unto me: if I were to disobey my Lord, I should myself fear the Penalty of a Great Day (to come).” 16. Say: “If God had so willed, I should not have rehearsed it to you, nor would He have made it known to you. A whole lifetime before this have I tarried amongst you: will you not then understand?”
17. Who does more wrong than such as forge a lie against God, or deny His Signs? But never will prosper those who sin. 18. They serve, besides God, things that hurt them not nor profit them, and they say: “These are our intercessors with God.” Say: “Do you indeed inform God of something He knows not, in the heavens or on earth? - Glory to Him! And far is He above the partners they ascribe (to Him)!” 19. Mankind was but one nation, but differed (later). Had it not been for a Word that went forth before from your Lord, their differences would have been settled between them. 20. They say: “Why is not a Sign sent down to him from his Lord?” Say: “The Unseen is only for God (to know), then wait you: I too will wait with you.”
SECTION 3: Merciful Dealing
21. When We make mankind taste of some mercy after adversity has touched them, behold! they take to plotting against Our Signs! Say: “Swifter to plan is God!” Verily, Our messengers record all the plots that you make! 22. He it is Who enables you to traverse through land and sea; so that you even board ships; - they sail with them with a favorable wind, and they rejoice thereat; then comes a stormy wind and the waves come to them from all sides, and they think they are being overwhelmed: they cry unto God, sincerely offering (their) duty unto Him, saying, “If You do deliver us from this, we shall truly show our gratitude!” 23. But when He delivers them, behold! they transgress insolently through the earth in defiance of right! O mankind! Your insolence is against your own souls, - an enjoyment of the life of the present: in the end, to Us is your return, and We shall show you the truth of all that you did.
24. The likeness of the life of the present is as the rain which We send down from the skies: by its mingling arises the produce of the earth—which provides food for men and animals: (it grows) till the earth is clad with its golden ornaments and is decked out (in beauty): the people to whom it belongs think they have all powers of disposal over it: there reaches it Our command by night or by day, and We make it like a harvest clean-mown, as if it had not flourished only the day before! Thus do We explain the Signs in detail for those who reflect. 25. But God does call to the Home of Peace: He does guide whom He pleases to a way that is straight. 26. To those who do right is a goodly (reward)—Indeed, more (than in measure)! No darkness nor shame shall cover their faces! They are companions of the Garden; they will abide therein (forever)! 27. But those who have earned evil will have a reward of like evil: ignominy will cover their (faces): no defender will they have from (the wrath of) God: their faces will be covered, as it were, with pieces from the depth of the darkness of night: they are companions of the Fire: they will abide therein (forever)! 28. One day shall We gather them all together. Then shall We say to those who joined gods (with Us): “To your place! you and those you joined as ‘partners’. We shall separate them, and their ‘partners’ shall say: ‘It was not us that you worshipped! 29. Enough is God for a witness between us and you: we certainly knew nothing of your worship of us!’” 30. There will every soul prove (the fruits of) the deeds it sent before: they will be brought back to God their rightful Lord, and their invented falsehoods will leave them in the lurch.
SECTION 4: Uniqueness of Divine Gifts
31. Say: “Who is it that sustains you (in life) from the sky and from the earth? Or who is it that has power over hearing and sight? And who is it that brings out the living from the dead and the dead from the living? And who is it that rules and regulates all affairs?” They will soon say, “God”. Say, “Will you not then show piety (to Him)?” 32. Such is God, your real Cherisher and Sustainer: apart from Truth, what (remains) but error? How then have you turned away? 33. Thus is the Word of your Lord proved true against those who rebel: verily they will not believe.
34. Say: “Of your ‘partners’, can any originate creation and repeat it?” Say: “It is God Who originates creation and repeats it: then how are you deluded away (from the truth)?” 35. Say: “Of your ‘partners’ is there any that can give any guidance towards Truth?” Say: “It is God Who gives guidance towards Truth. Is then He Who gives guidance to Truth more worthy to be followed, or he who finds not guidance (himself) unless he is guided? What then is the matter with you? How judge you?” 36. But most of them follow nothing but fancy: truly fancy can be of no avail against Truth. Verily God is well aware of all that they do.
37. This Qur’ān is not such as can be produced by other than God; on the contrary it is a confirmation of (revelations) that went before it, and a fuller explanation of the Book - wherein there is no doubt - from the Lord of the Worlds. 38. Or do they say, “He forged it”? Say: “Bring then a Revelation like unto it, and call (to your aid) anyone you can besides God, if it be you speak the truth!” 39. Nay, they charge with falsehood that whose knowledge they cannot compass, even before the elucidation thereof has reached them: thus did those before them make charges of falsehood: but see what was the end of those who did wrong! 40. Of them there are some who believe therein, and some who do not: and your Lord knows best those who are out for mischief.
SECTION 5: The Reprobates and Their Punishment
41. If they charge you with falsehood, say: “My work to me, and yours to you! You are free from responsibility for what I do, and I for what you do!” 42. Among them are some who (pretend to) listen to you: but can you make the deaf to hear, - even though they are without understanding? 43. And among them are some who look at you: but can you guide the blind, - even though they will not see? 44. Verily God will not deal unjustly with man in aught: it is man that wrongs his own soul. 45. One day He will gather them together: (it will be) as if they had tarried but an hour of a day: they will recognize each other: assuredly those will be lost who denied the meeting with God and refused to receive true guidance. 46. Whether We show you (realized in your lifetime) some part of what We promise them, - or We take your soul (to Our Mercy) (before that), - in any case, to Us is their return: ultimately God is witness to all that they do.
47. To every people (was sent) a messenger: when their messenger comes (before them), the matter will be judged between them with justice, and they will not be wronged. 48. They say: “When will this promise come to pass, - if you speak the truth?” 49. Say: “I have no power over any harm or profit to myself except as God wills. To every people is a term appointed: when their term is reached, not an hour can they cause delay, nor (an hour) can they advance (it in anticipation).” 50. Say: “Do you see, - if His punishment should come to you by night or by day, - what portion of it would the sinners wish to hasten? 51. Would you then believe in it at last, when it actually comes to pass? (It will then be said): ‘Ah! Now? and you wanted (aforetime) to hasten it on!’ 52. At length will be said to the wrong-doers: ‘Taste you the enduring punishment! You get but the recompense of what you earned!’” 53. They seek to be informed by you: “Is that true?” Say: “Aye! By my Lord! It is the very truth! and you cannot frustrate it!”
SECTION 6: Mercy Precedence of Punishment
54. Every soul that has sinned, if it possessed all that is on earth, would fain give it in ransom: they would declare (their) repentance when they see the Penalty: but the judgment between them will be with justice, and no wrong will be done unto them. 55. Is it not (the case) that to God belongs whatever is in the heavens and on earth? Is it not (the case) that God’s promise is assuredly true? Yet most of them understand not. 56. It is He Who gives life and Who takes it, and to Him shall you all be brought back.
57. O mankind! There has come to you a direction from your Lord and a healing for the (diseases) in your hearts, - and for those who believe, a guidance and a Mercy. 58. Say: “In the bounty of God. And in His Mercy, - in that let them rejoice”: that is better than the (wealth) they hoard. 59. Say: “See you what things God has sent down to you for sustenance? Yet you hold forbidden some things thereof and (some things) lawful.” Say: “Has God indeed permitted you, or do you invent (things) to attribute to God?” 60. And what think those who invent lies against God, of the Day of Judgement? Verily God is full of bounty to mankind, but most of them are ungrateful.
It is He Who gives life and Who takes it, and to Him shall you all be brought back. (10:56)
SECTION 7: Good News for the Faithful
61. In whatever business you may be, and whatever portion you may be reciting from the Qur’ān, - and whatever deed you (mankind) may be doing, - We are witnesses thereof when you are deeply engrossed therein. Nor is hidden from your Lord (so much as) the weight of an atom on the earth or in heaven. And not the least and not the greatest of these things but are recorded in a clear record. 62. Behold! Verily on the friends of God there is no fear, nor shall they grieve; 63. Those who believe and (constantly) guard against evil; - 64. For them are glad tidings, in the life of the present and in the Hereafter; no change can there be in the Words of God. This is indeed the supreme felicity. 65. Let not their speech grieve you: for all power and honor belong to God: it is He Who hears and knows (all things). 66. Behold! Verily to God belong all creatures, in the heavens and on earth. What do they follow who worship as His “partners” other than God? They follow nothing but fancy, and they do nothing but lie. 67. He it is Who has made you the night that you may rest therein, and the day to make things visible (to you). Verily in this are Signs for those who listen (to His Message).
68. They say: “God has begotten a son!”—Glory be to Him! He is self-sufficient! His are all things in the heavens and on earth! No warrant have you for this! Say you about God what you know not? 69. Say: “Those who invent a lie against God will never prosper.” 70. A little enjoyment in this world! - and then, to Us will be their return, then shall We make them taste the severest Penalty for their blasphemies.
He it is Who has made you the night that you may rest therein, and the day to make things visible (to you). Verily in this are Signs for those who listen (to His Message). (10:67)
SECTION 8: Noah and Moses
71. Relate to them the story of Noah. Behold! he said to his people: “O my people, if it be hard on your (mind) that I should stay (with you) and commemorate the Signs of God, - yet I put my trust in God. Get you then an agreement about your plan and among your partners, so your plan be not to you dark and dubious. Then pass your sentence on me, and give me no respite. 72. But if you turn back, (consider): no reward have I asked of you: my reward is only due from God, and I have been commanded to be of those who submit to God’s will (in Islam).” 73. They rejected him, but We delivered him, and those with him, in the Ark, and We made them inherit (the earth), while We overwhelmed in the flood those who rejected Our Signs. Then see what was the end of those who were warned (but heeded not)!
74. Then after him We sent (many) messengers to their peoples: they brought them clear Signs, but they would not believe what they had already rejected beforehand. Thus do We seal the hearts of the transgressors.
75. Then after them sent We Moses and Aaron to Pharaoh and his Chiefs with Our Signs. But they were arrogant: they were a people in sin. 76. When the Truth did come to them from Us, they said: “This is indeed evident sorcery!” 77. Said Moses: “Say you (this) about the Truth when it has (actually) reached you? Is sorcery (like) this? But sorcerers will not prosper.” 78. They said: “Have you come to us to turn us away from the ways we found our fathers following, - in order that you and your brother may have greatness in the land? But not we shall believe in you!” 79. Said Pharaoh: “Bring me every sorcerer well versed.” 80. When the sorcerers came, Moses said to them: “Throw you what you (wish) to throw!” 81. When they had had their throw, Moses said: “What you have brought is sorcery: God will surely make it of no effect: for God prospers not the work of those who make mischief. 82. And God by His Words does prove and establish His Truth, however much the sinners may hate it!”
Then after him We sent (many) messengers to their peoples: they brought them clear Signs, but they would not believe what they had already rejected beforehand. Thus do We seal the hearts of the transgressors. (10:74)
SECTION 9: End of Opposition to Moses
83. But none believed in Moses except some children of his people, because of the fear of Pharaoh and his Chiefs, lest they should persecute them; and certainly Pharaoh was mighty on the earth and one who transgressed all bounds. 84. Moses said: “O my people! If you do (really) believe in God, then in Him put your trust if you submit (your will to His).” 85. They said: “In God do we put our trust. Our Lord! Make us not a trial for those who practice oppression; 86. And deliver us by Your Mercy from those who reject (You).”
87. We inspired Moses and his brother with this Message: “Provide dwellings for your people in Egypt, make your dwellings into places of worship, and establish regular prayers: and give glad tidings to those who believe!” 88. Moses prayed: “Our Lord! You have indeed bestowed on Pharaoh and his Chiefs splendor and wealth in the life of the present, and so, our Lord, they mislead (men) from Your Path. Deface, our Lord, the features of their wealth, and send hardness to their hearts, so they will not believe until they see the grievous Penalty.” 89. God said: “Accepted is your prayer (O Moses and Aaron)! So stand you straight, and follow not the path of those who know not.”
90. We took the Children of Israel across the sea: Pharaoh and his hosts followed them in insolence and spite. At length, when overwhelmed with the flood, he said: “I believe that there is no god except Him Whom the Children of Israel believe in: I am of those who submit (to God in Islam).” 91. (It was said to him): “Ah now!—But a little while before, were you in rebellion!—and you did mischief (and violence)! 92. This day shall We save you in your body, that you may be a Sign to those who come after you! But verily, many among mankind are heedless of Our Signs!”
SECTION 10: Those Who Heed Warning Will Benefit
93. We settled the Children of Israel in a beautiful dwelling-place, and provided for them sustenance of the best: it was after knowledge had been granted to them, that they fell into schisms. Verily God will judge between them as to the schisms amongst them, on the Day of Judgement. 94. If you were in doubt as to what We have revealed unto you, then ask those who have been reading the Book from before you: the Truth has indeed come to you from your Lord: so be in no way of those in doubt. 95. Nor be of those who reject the Signs of God, or you shall be of those who perish.
96. Those against whom the Word of your Lord has been verified would not believe - 97. Even if every Sign was brought unto them, - until they see (for themselves) the grievous Penalty. 98. Why was there not a single township (among those We warned), which believed, - so its Faith should have profited it, - except the people of Jonah? When they believed, We removed from them the Penalty of Ignominy in the life of the present, and permitted them to enjoy (their life) for a while.
99. If it had been your Lord’s Will, they would all have believed, - all who are on earth! Will you then compel mankind, against their will, to believe! 100. No soul can believe, except by the Will of God, and He will place doubt (or obscurity) on those who will not understand. 101. Say: “Behold all that is in the heavens and on earth”; but neither Signs nor Warners profit those who believe not. 102. Do they then expect (anything) but (what happened in) the days of the men who passed away before them? Say: “Wait you then: for I, too, will wait with you.” 103. In the end We deliver Our messengers and those who believe: thus is it fitting on Our part that We should deliver those who believe!
SECTION 11: Divine Judgement
104. Say: “O you men! If you are in doubt as to my religion, (behold!) I worship not what you worship, other than God! But I worship God—Who will take your souls (at death): I am commanded to be (in the ranks) of the Believers, 105. And further (thus): “Set your face towards religion with true piety, and never in anyway be of the Unbelievers; 106. Nor call on any, other than God; - such will neither profit you nor hurt you: if you do, behold! you shall certainly be of those who do wrong.” 107. If God does touch you with hurt, there is none can remove it but He: if He does design some benefit for you, there is none can keep back His favor: He causes it to reach whomsoever of His servants He pleases. And He is the Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful. 108. Say: “O you men! Now Truth has reached you from your Lord! Those who receive guidance, do so for the good of their own souls; those who stray, do so to their own loss: and I am not (set) over you to arrange your affairs.” 109. Follow you the inspiration sent unto you, and be patient and constant, till God does decide: for He is the best to decide.
If God does touch you with hurt, there is none can remove it but He: if He does design some benefit for you, there is none can keep back His favor: He causes it to reach whomsoever of His servants He pleases. And He is the Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful. (10:107)