Chapter 15: The Rocky Tract
SECTION 1: The Qur’ān is Guarded
In the name of God,
Most Gracious, Most Merciful.
1. Alif Lām Rā’. These are the Signs of the Revelation, - of a Qur’ān that makes things clear.
2. Again and again will those who disbelieve, wish that they had bowed (to God’s Will) in Islam. 3. Leave them alone, to enjoy (the good things of this life) and to please themselves: let (false) hope amuse them: soon will knowledge (undeceive them).
4. Never did We destroy a population that had not a term decreed and assigned beforehand. 5. Neither can a people anticipate its term, nor delay it. 6. They say: “O you to whom the Message is being revealed! Truly you are mad (or possessed)! 7. Why bring you not angels to us if it be that you have the Truth?” 8. We send not the angels down except for just cause: if they came (to the ungodly), behold! no respite would they have!
9. We have, without doubt, sent down the Message; and We will assuredly guard it (from corruption).
10. We did send messengers before you amongst the religious sects of old: 11. But never came a messenger to them but they mocked him. 12. Even so do We let it creep into the hearts of the sinners—13. That they should not believe in the (Message); but the ways of the ancients have passed away.
14. Even if We opened out to them a gate from heaven, and they were to continue (all day) ascending therein, 15. They would only say: “Our eyes have been intoxicated: No, we have been bewitched by sorcery.”
SECTION 2: Forces of Evil Will be Destroyed
16. It is We Who have set out the zodiacal signs in the heavens, and made them fair-seeming to (all) beholders; 17. And (moreover) We have guarded them from every evil spirit accursed: 18. But any that gains a hearing by stealth, is pursued by a flaming fire, bright (to see). 19. And the earth We have spread out (like a carpet); set thereon mountains firm and immovable; and produced therein all kinds of things in due balance. 20. And We have provided therein means of sustenance, - for you and for those for whose sustenance you are not responsible.
21. And there is not a thing but its (sources and) treasures (inexhaustible) are with Us; but We only send down thereof in due and ascertainable measures. 22. And We send the fecundating winds, then cause the rain to descend from the sky, therewith providing you with water (in abundance), though you are not the guardians of its stores.
23. And verily, it is We Who give life, and Who give death: it is We Who remain inheritors (after all else passes away).
24. To Us are known those of you who hasten forward, and those who lag behind. 25. Assuredly it is your Lord Who will gather them together: for He is perfect in Wisdom and Knowledge.
It is We Who have set out the zodiacal signs in the heavens, and made them fair-seeming to (all) beholders; (15:16)
SECTION 3: The Devil’s Opposition to the Righteous
26. We created man from sounding clay, from mud molded into shape; 27. And the Jinn race, We had created before, from the fire of a scorching wind.
28. Behold! Your Lord said to the angels: “I am about to create man, from sounding clay from mud molded into shape; 29. When I have fashioned him (in due proportion) and breathed into him of My spirit, fall you down in obeisance unto him.” 30. So the angels prostrated themselves, all of them together: 31. Not so Satan: he refused to be among those who prostrated themselves. 32. (God) said: “O Satan! What is your reason for not being among those who prostrated themselves?” 33. (Satan) said: “I am not one to prostrate myself to man, whom You did create from sounding clay, from mud molded into shape.” 34. (God) said: “Then get you out from here; for you are rejected, accursed. 35. And the Curse shall be on you till the Day of Judgement.” 36. (Satan) said: “O my Lord! Give me then respite till the Day the (dead) are raised.” 37. (God) said: “Respite is granted you—38. Till the Day of the Time appointed.” 39. (Satan) said: “O my Lord! Because You have put me in the wrong, I will make (wrong) fair-seeming to them on the earth, and I will put them all in the wrong, - 40. Except Your servants among them, sincere and purified (by Your Grace).” 41. (God) said: “This (Way of My sincere servants) is indeed a Way that leads straight to Me. 42. For over My servants no authority shall you have, except such as put themselves in the wrong and follow you.”
43. And verily, Hell is the promised abode for them all! 44. To it are seven gates: for each of those gates is a (special) class (of sinners) assigned.
For over My servants no authority shall you have, except such as put themselves in the wrong and follow you.” (15:42)
SECTION 4: Mercy for the Righteous – Abraham
45. The righteous (will be) amid Gardens and fountains (of clear-flowing water). 46. (Their greeting will be): “Enter you here in peace and security.” 47. And We shall remove from their hearts any lurking sense of injury: (they will be) brothers (joyfully) facing each other on thrones (of dignity). 48. There no sense of fatigue shall touch them, nor shall they (ever) be asked to leave.
49. Tell My servants that I am indeed the Oft-forgiving, Most Merciful; 50. And that My Penalty will be indeed the most grievous Penalty.
51. Tell them about the guests of Abraham. 52. When they entered his presence and said, “Peace!” he said, “We feel afraid of you!” 53. They said: “Fear not! We give you glad tidings of a son endowed with wisdom.” 54. He said: “Do you give me glad tidings that old age has seized me? Of what, then, is your good news?” 55. They said: “We give you glad tidings in truth: be not then in despair!” 56. He said: “And who despairs of the mercy of his Lord, but such as go astray?”
57. Abraham said: “What then is the business on which you (have come), O you Messengers (of God)?” 58. They said: “We have been sent to a people (deep) in sin. 59. Excepting the adherents of Lot: them we are certainly (charged) to save (from harm), - all - 60. Except his wife, who, we have ascertained, will be among those who will lag behind.”
And We shall remove from their hearts any lurking sense of injury: (they will be) brothers (joyfully) facing each other on thrones (of dignity). (15:47)
SECTION 5: Lot and Jethro
61. At length when the messengers arrived among the adherents of Lot, 62. He said: “You appear to be uncommon folk.” 63. They said: “Indeed, we have come to you to accomplish that of which they doubt. 64. We have brought to you that which is inevitably due, and assuredly we tell the truth. 65. Then travel by night with your household, when a portion of the night (yet remains), and do you bring up the rear: let no one amongst you look back, but pass on whither you are ordered.” 66. And We made known this decree to him, that the last remnants of those (sinners) should be cut off by the morning.
67. The inhabitants of the City came in (mad) joy (at news of the young men). 68. Lot said: “These are my guests: disgrace me not: 69. But fear God, and shame me not.” 70. They said: “Did we not forbid you (to speak) for all and sundry?” 71. He said: “There are my daughters (to marry), if you must act (so).” 72. Verily, by your life (O Prophet), in their wild intoxication, they wander in distraction, to and fro. 73. But the (mighty) Blast overtook them before morning, 74. And We turned (the Cities) upside down, and rained down on them brimstones hard as baked clay. 75. Behold! In this are Signs for those who by tokens do understand. 76. And the (Cities were) right on the high-road. 77. Behold! In this is a Sign for those who believe!
78. And the Companions of the Wood were also wrong-doers; 79. So We exacted retribution from them. They were both on an open highway, plain to see.
SECTION 6: Dwellers of the Rock and a Warning
80. The Companions of the Rocky Tract also rejected the messengers: 81. We sent them Our Signs, but they persisted in turning away from them. 82. Out of the mountains did they hew (their) edifices, (feeling themselves) secure. 83. But the (mighty) Blast seized them of a morning, 84. And of no avail to them was all that they did (with such art and care)!
85. We created not the heavens, the earth, and all between them, but for just ends. And the Hour is surely coming (when this will be manifest). So overlook (any human faults) with gracious forgiveness. 86. For verily it is your Lord Who is the Master-Creator, knowing all things. 87. And We have bestowed upon you the Seven Oft-repeated (verses) and the Grand Qur’ān. 88. Strain not your eyes, (wistfully) at what We have bestowed on certain classes of them, nor grieve over them: but lower your wing (in gentleness) to the Believers.
89. And say: “I am indeed he that warns openly and without ambiguity,”— 90. (Of just such wrath) as We sent down on those who divided (Scripture into arbitrary parts), - 91. (So also on such) as have made the Qur’ān into shreds (as they please). 92. Therefore, by your Lord, We will, of a surety, call them to account, 93. For all their deeds. 94. Therefore expound openly what you are commanded, and turn away from those who join false gods with God. 95. For sufficient are We unto you against those who scoff, - 96. Those who adopt, with God, another god: but soon will they come to know. 97. We do indeed know how your heart is distressed at what they say. 98. But celebrate the praises of your Lord, and be of those who prostrate themselves in adoration. 99. And serve your Lord until there come unto you the Hour that is certain.
And We have bestowed upon you the Seven Oft-repeated (verses) and the Grand Qur’ān. (15:87)