Chapter 29: The Spider
Section 1: Trials Purify
In the name of God,
Most Gracious, Most Merciful.
1. Alif Lam Mim.
2. Do men think that they will be left alone on saying, "We believe", and that they will not be tested? 3. We did test those before them, and God will certainly know those who are true from those who are false. 4. Do those who practice evil think that they will get the better of Us? Evil is their judgment! 5. For those whose hopes are in the meeting with God (in the Hereafter, let them strive); for the term (appointed) by God is surely coming and He hears and knows (all things). 6. And if any strive (with might and main), they do so for their own souls: for God is free of all needs from all creation.
We did test those before them, and God will certainly know those who are true from those who are false. (29:3)
7. Those who believe and work righteous deeds, – from them shall We blot out all evil (that may be) in them, and We shall reward them according to the best of their deeds. 8. We have enjoined on man kindness to parents: but if they (either of them) strive (to force) you to join with Me (in worship) anything of which you have no knowledge, obey them not. You have (all) to return to Me, and I will tell you (the truth) of all that you did. 9. And those who believe and work righteous deeds, – them shall We admit to the company of the Righteous.
10. Then there are among men such as say, "We believe in God"; but when they suffer affliction in (the cause of) God, they treat men's oppression as if it were the Wrath of God. And if help comes (to you) from your Lord, they are sure to say, "We have (always) been with you!" Does not God know best all that is in the hearts of all creation? 11. And God most certainly knows those who believe, and as certainly those who are Hypocrites. 12. And the Unbelievers say to those who believe: "Follow our path, and we will bear (the consequences) of your faults." Never in the least will they bear their faults: in fact they are liars! 13. They will bear their own burdens, and (other) burdens along with their own, and on the Day of Judgement, they will be called to account for their falsehoods.
Those who believe and work righteous deeds, – from them shall We blot out all evil (that may be) in them, and We shall reward them according to the best of their deeds. (29:7)
Section 2: Noah and Abraham
14. We (once) sent Noah to his people, and he tarried among them a thousand years less fifty: but the Deluge overwhelmed them while they (persisted in) sin. 15. But We saved him and the companions of the Ark, and We made the (Ark) a Sign for all peoples!
16. And (We also saved) Abraham: behold, he said to his people, "Serve God and fear Him: that will be best for you – If you understand! 17. "For you do worship idols besides God, and you invent falsehood. The things that you worship besides God have no power to give you sustenance: then seek you sustenance from God, serve Him, and be grateful to Him: to Him will be your return. 18. "And if you reject (the Message), so did generations before you: and the duty of the apostle is only to preach publicly (and clearly)."
19. See they not how God originates creation, then repeats it: truly that is easy for God. 20. Say: "Travel through the earth and see how God did originate creation; so will God produce a later creation: for God has power over all things. 21. "He punishes whom He pleases, and He grants Mercy to whom He pleases, and towards Him are you turned. 22. "Not on earth nor in heaven will you be able (fleeing) to frustrate (his Plan), nor have you, besides God, any protector or helper."
But We saved him and the companions of the Ark, and We made the (Ark) a Sign for all peoples! (29:15)
Section 3: Abraham and Lot
23. Those who reject the Signs of God and the Meeting with Him (in the Hereafter), – it is they who shall despair of My Mercy: it is they who will (suffer) a most grievous Penalty.
24. So nothing was the answer of (Abraham's) people except that they said: "Slay him or burn him." But God did save him from the Fire. Verily in this are Signs for people who believe. 25. And he said: "For you, you have taken (for worship) idols besides God, out of mutual love and regard between yourselves in this life; but on the Day of Judgment you shall disown each other and curse each other: and your abode will be the Fire, and you shall have none to help." 26. But Lot had faith in Him: He said: "I will leave home for the sake of my Lord: for He is Exalted in Might, and Wise." 27. And We gave (Abraham) Isaac and Jacob, and ordained among his progeny Prophethood and Revelation, and We granted him his reward in this life; and he was in the Hereafter (of the company) of the Righteous.
28. And (remember) Lot: behold, he said to his people: "You do commit lewdness, such as no people in Creation (ever) committed before you. 29. "Do you indeed approach men, and cut off the highway? – and practice wickedness (even) in your councils?" But his people gave no answer but this: they said: "Bring us the Wrath of God if you tell the truth." 30. He said: "O my Lord! help You me against people who do mischief!"
Section 4: Opposition to Truth Ever a Failure
31. When Our Messengers came to Abraham with the good news, they said: "We are indeed going to destroy the people of this township: for truly they are (addicted to) crime." 32. He said: "But there is Lot there." They said: "Well do we know who is there: We will certainly save him and his following, – except his wife: she is of those who lag behind!" 33. And when Our Messengers came to Lot, he was grieved on their account, and felt himself powerless (to protect) them: but they said: "Fear you not, nor grieve: we are (here) to save you and your following, except your wife: she is of those who lag behind. 34. "For we are going to bring down on the people of this township a Punishment from heaven, because they have been wickedly rebellious." 35. And We have left thereof an evident Sign, for any people who (care to) understand.
36. To the Madyan (people) (We sent) their brother Jethro. Then he said: "O my people! serve God, and fear the Last Day: nor commit evil on the earth, with intent to do mischief." 37. But they rejected him: Then the mighty Blast seized them, and they lay prostrate in their homes by the morning.
38. (Remember also) the 'Ad and the Thamud (people): clearly will appear to you from (the traces) of their buildings (their fate): the Evil One made their deeds alluring to them, and kept them back from the Path, though they were gifted with intelligence and skill. 39. (Remember also) Korah, Pharaoh, and Haman: there came to them Moses with Clear Signs, but they behaved with insolence on the earth; yet they could not overreach (Us). 40. Each one of them We seized for his crime: of them, against some We sent a violent tornado (with showers of stones); some were caught by a (mighty) Blast; some We caused the earth to swallow up; and some We drowned (in the waters): It was not God Who injured (or oppressed) them:" They injured (and oppressed) their own souls.
41. The parable of those who take protectors other than God is that of the spider, who builds (to itself) a house; but truly the flimsiest of houses is the spider's house; – if they but knew. 42. Verily God does know of (everything) whatever that they call upon besides Him: and He is Exalted (in power), Wise. 43. And such are the Parables We set forth for mankind, but only those understand them who have knowledge. 44. God created the heavens and the earth in true (proportions): verily in that is a Sign for those who believe.
Section 5: The Qur’an is a Purifier
45. Recite what is sent of the Book by inspiration to you, and establish regular Prayer: for Prayer restrains from shameful and unjust deeds; and remembrance of God is the greatest (thing in life) without doubt. And God knows the (deeds) that you do. 46. And dispute you not with the People of the Book, except with means better (than mere disputation), unless it be with those of them who inflict wrong (and injury): but say, "We believe in the revelation which has come down to us and in that which came down to you; Our God and your God is One; and it is to Him we bow (in submission)." 47. And thus (it is) that We have sent down the Book to you. So the People of the Book believe therein, as also do some of these (pagan Arabs): and none but Unbelievers reject our signs. 48. And you were not (able) to recite a Book before this (Book came), nor are you (able) to transcribe it with your right hand: In that case, indeed, would the talkers of vanities have doubted. 49. No, here are Signs self-evident in the hearts of those endowed with knowledge: and none but the unjust reject Our Signs. 50. Yet they say: "Why are not Signs sent down to him from his Lord?" Say: "The signs are indeed with God; and I am indeed a clear Warner." 51. And is it not enough for them that We have sent down to you the Book which is rehearsed to them? Verily, in it is Mercy and a Reminder to those who believe.
Recite what is sent of the Book by inspiration to you, and establish regular Prayer: for Prayer restrains from shameful and unjust deeds; and remembrance of God is the greatest (thing in life) without doubt. And God knows the (deeds) that you do. (29:45)
Section 6: Warning and Consolation
52. Say: "Enough is God for a witness between me and you: He knows what is in the heavens and on earth. And it is those who believe in vanities and reject God, that will perish (in the end)."
53. They ask you to hasten on the Punishment (for them): had it not been for a term (of respite) appointed, the Punishment would certainly have come to them: and it will certainly reach them, – of a sudden, while they perceive not! 54. They ask you to hasten on the Punishment: but, of a surety, Hell will encompass the Rejecters of Faith! – 55. On the Day that the Punishment shall cover them from above them and from below them, and (a Voice) shall say: "Taste you (the fruits) of your deeds!"
56. O My servants who believe! truly, spacious is My Earth: therefore, serve you Me – (and Me alone)! 57. Every soul shall have a taste of death in the end to Us shall you be brought back. 58. But those who believe and work deeds of righteousness – to them shall We give a Home in Heaven, – lofty mansions beneath which flow rivers, – to dwell therein forever; – an excellent reward for those who do (good)! – 59. Those who persevere in patience, and put their trust, in their Lord and Cherisher.
60. How many are the creatures that carry not their own sustenance? It is God who feeds (both) them and you: for He hears and knows (all things). 61. If indeed you ask them who has created the heavens and the earth and subjected the sun and the moon (to His Law), they will certainly reply, "(God)". How are they then deluded away (from the truth)? 62. God enlarges the sustenance (which He gives) to whichever of His servants He pleases; and He (similarly) grants by (strict) measure, (as He pleases): for God has full knowledge of all things. 63. And if indeed you ask them who it is that sends down rain from the sky, and gives life therewith to the earth after its death, they will certainly reply, "(God)!" Say, "Praise be to God." But most of them understand not.
Section 7: Triumph of the Faithful
64. What is the life of this world but amusement and play? but verily the Home in the Hereafter, – that is life indeed, if they but knew. 65. Now, if they embark on a boat, they call on God, making their devotion sincerely (and exclusively) to Him; but when He has delivered them safely to (dry) land, behold, they give a share (of their worship to others)! – 66. Disdaining ungratefully Our gifts, and giving themselves up to (worldly) enjoyment! But soon will they know. 67. Do they not then see that We have made a sanctuary secure, and that men are being snatched away from all around them? Then, do they believe in that which is vain, and reject the Grace of God. 68. And who does more wrong than he who invents a lie against God or rejects the Truth when it reaches him? Is there not a home in Hell for those who reject Faith? 69. And those who strive in Our (cause), – We will certainly guide them to our Paths: For verily God is with those who do right.