Chapter 49: The Inner Apartments
SECTION 1: Respect for the Prophet
In the name of God,
Most Gracious, Most Merciful.
1. O you who believe! Put not yourselves forward before God and His Messenger; but fear God: for God is He Who hears and knows all things.
2. O you who believe! Raise not your voices above the voice of the Prophet, nor speak aloud to him in talk, as you may speak aloud to one another, lest your deeds become vain and you perceive not. 3. Those that lower their voice in the presence of God’s Messenger, — their hearts have God tested for piety: for them is Forgiveness and a great Reward.
4. Those who shout out to you from without the Inner Apartments — most of them lack understanding. 5. If only they had patience until you could come out to them, it would be best for them: but God is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.
6. O you who believe! If a wicked person comes to you with any news, ascertain the truth, lest you harm people unwittingly, and afterwards become full of repentance for what you have done.
7. And know that among you is God’s Messenger: were he, in many matters, to follow your (wishes), you would certainly fall into misfortune: but God has endeared the Faith to you, and has made it beautiful in your hearts, and He has made hateful to you unbelief, wickedness, and rebellion: such indeed are those who walk in righteousness; — 8. A grace and favor from God; and God is Full of Knowledge and Wisdom.
9. If two parties among the Believers fall into a quarrel, make you peace between them: but if one of them transgresses beyond bounds against the other, then fight you (all) against the one that transgresses until it complies with the command of God; but if it complies, then make peace between them with justice, and be fair: for God loves those who are fair (and just). 10. The Believers are but a single Brotherhood: so make peace and reconciliation between your two (contending) brothers; and fear God, that you may receive Mercy.
The Believers are but a single Brotherhood: so make peace and reconciliation between your two (contending) brothers; and fear God, that you may receive Mercy. (49:10)
SECTION 2: Respect for Muslim Brotherhood
11. O you who believe! Let not some men among you laugh at others: it may be that the (latter) are better than the (former): nor let some women laugh at others: it may be that the (latter) are better than the (former): nor defame nor be sarcastic to each other, nor call each other by (offensive) nicknames: ill-seeming is a name connoting wickedness, (to be used of one) after he has believed: and those who do not desist are (indeed) doing wrong.
12. O you who believe! Avoid suspicion as much (as possible): for suspicion in some cases is a sin: and spy not on each other, nor speak ill of each other behind their backs. Would any of you like to eat the flesh of his dead brother? No, you would abhor it … But fear God: for God is Oft-Returning, Most Merciful. 13. O mankind! We created you from a single (pair) of a male and a female, and made you into nations and tribes, that you may know each other (not that you may despise each other). Verily the most honored of you in the sight of God is (he who is) the most righteous of you. And God has full knowledge and is well-acquainted (with all things).
14. The desert Arabs say, “We believe.” Say, “You have no faith; but you (only) say, ‘We have submitted our wills to God,’ for not yet has Faith entered your hearts. But if you obey God and His Messenger, He will not belittle anything of your deeds: for God is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.” 15. Only those are Believers who have believed in God and His Messenger, and have never since doubted, but have striven with their belongings and their persons in the Cause of God: such are the sincere ones. 16. Say: “What! Will you instruct God about your religion? But God knows all that is in the heavens and on earth: He has full knowledge of all things.” 17. They impress on you as a favor that they have embraced Islam. Say, “Count not your Islam as a favor upon me: no, God has conferred a favor upon you that He has guided you to the Faith, if you be true and sincere. 18. Verily God knows the secrets of the heavens and the earth: and God sees well all that you do.”
...Verily the most honored of you in the sight of God is (he who is) the most righteous of you. And God has full knowledge and is well-acquainted (with all things). (49:13)