Chapter 53: The Star
SECTION 1: Eminence to be Attained by the Prophet
In the name of God,
Most Gracious, Most Merciful.
1. By the Star when it goes down, — 2. Your Companion is neither astray nor being misled. 3. Nor does he say (anything) of (his own) Desire. 4. It is no less than inspiration sent down to him: 5. He was taught by one Mighty in Power, 6. Endued with Wisdom: for he appeared (in stately form); 7. While he was in the highest part of the horizon: 8. Then he approached and came closer, 9. And was at a distance of but two bow-lengths or (even) nearer; 10. So did (God) convey the inspiration to His Servant — (conveyed) what He (meant) to convey. 11. The (Prophet’s) (mind and) heart in no way falsified that which he saw.
12. Will you then dispute with him concerning what he saw? 13. For indeed he saw him at a second descent, 14. Near the Lote-tree beyond which none may pass: 15. Near it is the Garden of Abode. 16. Behold, the Lote-tree was shrouded (in mystery unspeakable!) 17. (His) sight never swerved, nor did it go wrong! 18. For truly did he see, of the Signs of his Lord, the Greatest!
19. Have you seen Lāt, and ‘Uzzā, 20. And another, the third (goddess), Manāt? 21. What! For you the male sex, and for Him, the female? 22. Behold, such would be indeed a division most unfair! 23. These are nothing but names which you have devised, — you and your fathers, — for which God has sent down no authority (whatever). They follow nothing but conjecture and what their own souls desire! — Even though there has already come to them Guidance from their Lord! 24. No, shall man have (just) anything he hankers after? 25. But it is to God that the End and the Beginning (of all things) belong.
SECTION 2: Nothing Avails Against Truth
26. How many so ever be the angels in the heavens, their intercession will avail nothing except after God has given leave for whom He pleases and that he is acceptable to Him. 27. Those who believe not in the Hereafter, name the angels with female names. 28. But they have no knowledge therein. They follow nothing but conjecture; and conjecture avails nothing against Truth. 29. Therefore shun those who turn away from Our Message and desire nothing but the life of this world. 30. That is as far as knowledge will reach them. Verily your Lord knows best those who stray from His Path, and He knows best those who receive guidance.
31. Indeed, to God belongs all that is in the heavens and on earth: so that He rewards those who do evil, according to their deeds, and He rewards those who do good, with what is best. 32. Those who avoid great sins and shameful deeds, only (falling into) small faults, — verily your Lord is ample in forgiveness. He knows you well when He brings you out of the earth, and when you are hidden in your mothers’ wombs. Therefore justify not yourselves: He knows best who it is that guards against evil.
SECTION 3: God’s Power Manifested in Destruction of Falsehood
33. See you one who turns back, 34. Gives a little, then hardens (his heart)? 35. What! Has he knowledge of the Unseen so that he can see? 36. No, is he not acquainted with what is in the books of Moses — 37. And of Abraham who fulfilled his engagements? — 38. Namely, that no bearer of burdens can bear the burden of another; 39. That man can have nothing but what he strives for; 40. That (the fruit of) his striving will soon come in sight: 41. Then will he be rewarded with a reward complete; 42. That to your Lord is the final Goal; 43. That it is He Who grants Laughter and Tears; 44. That it is He Who grants Death and Life; 45. That He did create in pairs, — male and female, 46. From a seed when lodged (in its place); 47. That He has promised a Second Creation (Raising of the Dead); 48. That it is He Who gives wealth and satisfaction; 49. That He is the Lord of Sirius (the Mighty Star); 50. And that it is He Who destroyed the (powerful) ancient ‘Ād (people), 51. And the Thamūd, nor gave them a lease of perpetual life. 52. And before them, the people of Noah, for that they were (all) most unjust and most insolent transgressors.
53. And He destroyed the Overthrown Cities (of Sodom and Gomorrah), 54. So that (ruins unknown) have covered them up. 55. Then which of the gifts of your Lord, (O man,) will you dispute about? 56. This is a Warner, of the (series of) Warners of old! 57. The (Judgement) ever approaching draws near: 58. No (soul) but God can lay it bare. 59. Do you then wonder at this recital? 60. And will you laugh and not weep, — 61. Wasting your time in vanities? 62. But fall you down in prostration to God, and adore (Him)!
That man can have nothing but what he strives for; (53:39)