Chapter 56: The Inevitable Event
SECTION 1: Three Classes of Men
In the name of God,
Most Gracious, Most Merciful.
1. When the Event Inevitable comes to pass, 2. Then will no (soul) entertain falsehood concerning its coming. 3. (Many) will it bring low; (many) will it exalt; 4. When the earth shall be shaken to its depths, 5. And the mountains shall be crumbled to atoms, 6. Becoming dust scattered abroad, 7. And you shall be sorted out into three classes.
8. Then (there will be) the Companions of the Right Hand; — what will be the Companions of the Right Hand? 9. And the Companions of the Left Hand, — what will be the Companions of the Left Hand? 10. And those Foremost (in Faith) will be Foremost (in the Hereafter).
11. These will be those Nearest to God: 12. In Gardens of Bliss: 13. A number of people from those of old, 14. And a few from those of later times. 15. (They will be) on Thrones encrusted (with gold and precious stones), 16. Reclining on them, facing each other. 17. Round about them will (serve) youths of perpetual (freshness), 18. With goblets, (shining) beakers, and cups (filled) out of clear-flowing fountains: 19. No after-ache will they receive therefrom, nor will they suffer intoxication: 20. And with fruits, any that they may select: 21. And the flesh of fowls, any that they may desire. 22. And (there will be) Companions with beautiful, big, and lustrous eyes, — 23. Like unto Pearls well-guarded. 24. A Reward for the deeds of their past (life). 25. No frivolity will they hear therein, nor any taint of ill, — 26. Only the saying, “Peace! Peace”.
27. The Companions of the Right Hand, — what will be the Companions of the Right Hand? 28. (They will be) among Lote trees without thorns, 29. Among Ṭalḥ trees with flowers (or fruits) piled one above another, — 30. In shade long-extended, 31. By water flowing constantly, 32. And fruit in abundance. 33. Whose season is not limited, nor (supply) forbidden, 34. And on Thrones (of Dignity), raised high. 35. We have created (their Companions) of special creation, 36. And made them virgin-pure (and undefiled), — 37. Beloved (by nature), equal in age, — 38. For the Companions of the Right Hand.
SECTION 2: The Guilty
39. A (goodly) number from those of old, 40. And a (goodly) number from those of later times.
41. The Companions of the Left Hand, — what will be the Companions of the Left Hand? 42. (They will be) in the midst of a fierce Blast of Fire and in Boiling Water, 43. And in the shades of Black Smoke: 44. Nothing (will there be) to refresh, nor to please: 45. For that they were wont to be indulged, before that, in wealth (and luxury), 46. And persisted obstinately in wickedness supreme! 47. And they used to say, “What! When we die and become dust and bones, shall we then indeed be raised up again? — 48. (We) and our fathers of old?” 49. Say: “Indeed, those of old and those of later times, 50. All will certainly be gathered together for the meeting appointed for a Day well-known. 51. Then will you truly, — O you that go wrong, and treat (Truth) as Falsehood! — 52. You will surely taste of the Tree of Zaqqūm. 53. Then will you fill your insides therewith, 54. And drink Boiling Water on top of it: 55. Indeed you shall drink like diseased camels raging with thirst!” 56. Such will be their entertainment on the Day of Requital!
57. It is We Who have created you: why will you not witness the Truth? 58. Do you then see? — the (human Seed) that you throw out, — 59. Is it you who create it, or are We the Creators? 60. We have decreed Death to be your common lot, and We are not to be frustrated, 61. From changing your Forms and creating you (again) in (Forms) that you know not. 62. And you certainly know already the first form of creation: why then do you not celebrate His praises?
63. See you the seed that you sow in the ground? 64. Is it you that cause it to grow, or are We the Cause? 65. Were it Our Will, We could crumble it to dry powder, and you would be left in wonderment, 66. (Saying), “We are indeed left with debts (for nothing): 67. Indeed are we shut out (of the fruits of our labour)”
68. See you the water which you drink? 69. Do you bring it Down (in rain) from the Cloud or do We? 70. Were it Our Will, We could make it salt (and unpalatable): then why do you not give thanks?
71. See you the Fire which you kindle? 72. Is it you who grow the tree which feeds the fire, or do We grow it? 73. We have made it a memorial (of Our handiwork), and an article of comfort and convenience for the denizens of deserts. 74. Then celebrate with praises the name of your Lord, the Supreme!
It is We Who have created you: why will you not witness the Truth? Do you then see? — the (human Seed) that you throw out, — Is it you who create it, or are We the Creators? (56:57-59)
SECTION 3: Judgement is Inevitable
75. Furthermore I call to witness the setting of the Stars, — 76. And that is indeed a mighty adjuration if you but knew, — 77. That this is indeed a Qur’ān most honorable, 78. In a Book well-guarded, 79. Which none shall touch but those who are clean: 80. A Revelation from the Lord of the Worlds.
81. Is it such a Message that you would hold in light esteem? 82. And have you made it your livelihood that you should declare it false? 83. Then why do you not (intervene) when (the soul of the dying man) reaches the throat, — 84. And you the while (sit) looking on, — 85. But We are nearer to him than you, and yet see not, — 86. Then why do you not — if you are exempt from (future) account, — 87. Call back the soul, if you are true (in the claim of Independence)?
88. Thus, then, if he be of those Nearest to God, 89. (There is for him) Rest and Satisfaction, and a Garden of Delights. 90. And if he be of the Companions of the Right Hand, 91. (For him is the salutation), “Peace be unto you”, from the Companions of the Right Hand. 92. And if he be of those who treat (Truth) as Falsehood, who go wrong, 93. For him is Entertainment with Boiling Water. 94. And burning in Hell-Fire. 95. Verily, this is the very Truth and Certainty.
96. So celebrate with praises the name of your Lord, the Supreme.
So celebrate with praises the name of your Lord, the Supreme. (56:96)