Chapter 58: The Woman Who Pleads
SECTION 1: Safeguarding Women’s Rights
In the name of God,
Most Gracious, Most Merciful.
1. God has indeed heard (and accepted) the statement of the woman who pleads with you concerning her husband and carries her complaint (in prayer) to God: and God (always) hears the arguments between both sides among you: for God hears and sees (all things). 2. If any men among you divorce their wives by Ẓihār (calling them mothers), they cannot be their mothers: none can be their mothers except those who gave them birth. And in fact they use words (both) iniquitous and false: but truly God is One that blots out (sins), and forgives (again and again). 3. But those who divorce their wives by Ẓihār, then wish to go back on the words they uttered, — (it is ordained that such a one) should free a slave before they touch each other: this are you admonished to perform: and God is well-acquainted with (all) that you do. 4. And if any has not (the wherewithal), he should fast for two months consecutively before they touch each other. But if any is unable to do so, he should feed sixty indigent ones. This, that you may show your faith in God and His Messenger. Those are limits (set by) God. For those who reject (Him), there is a grievous Penalty. 5. Those who resist God and His Messenger will be humbled to dust, as were those before them: for We have already sent down clear Signs. And the Unbelievers (will have) a humiliating Penalty, — 6. On the Day that God will raise them all up (again) and show them the Truth (and meaning) of their conduct. God has reckoned its (value), though they may have forgotten it, for God is Witness to all things.
...and God (always) hears the arguments between both sides among you:... (58:1)
SECTION 2: Secret Counsels Condemned
7. See you not that God does know (all) that is in the heavens and on earth? There is not a secret consultation between three, but He makes the fourth among them, — nor between five but He makes the sixth, — nor between fewer nor more, but He is in their midst, wherever they be: in the end will He tell them the truth of their conduct, on the Day of Judgement. For God has full knowledge of all things. 8. Turn you not your sight towards those who were forbidden secret counsels yet revert to that which they were forbidden (to do)? And they hold secret counsels among themselves for iniquity and hostility, and disobedience to the Messenger. And when they come to you, they salute you, not as God salutes you, (but in crooked ways): and they say to themselves, “Why does not God punish us for our words?” Enough for them is Hell: in it will they burn, and evil is that destination!
9. O you who believe! When you hold secret counsel, do it not for iniquity and hostility, and disobedience to the Prophet; but do it for righteousness and self-restraint; and fear God, to Whom you shall be brought back. 10. Secret counsels are only (inspired) by the Evil One, in order that he may cause grief to the Believers; but he cannot harm them in the least, except as God permits; and on God let the Believers put their trust.
11. O you who believe! When you are told to make room in the assemblies, (spread out and) make room: (ample) room will God provide for you. And when you are told to rise up, rise up: God will raise up, to (suitable) ranks (and degrees), those of you who believe and who have been granted (mystic) Knowledge. And God is well-acquainted with all you do.
12. O you who believe! When you consult the Messenger in private, spend something in charity before your private consultation. That will be best for you, and most conducive to purity (of conduct). But if you find not (the wherewithal), God is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful. 13. Is it that you are afraid of spending sums in charity before your private consultation (with him)? If, then, you do not so, and God forgives you, then (at least) establish regular prayer; practice regular charity; and obey God and His Messenger. And God is well-acquainted with all that you do.
O you who believe! When you consult the Messenger in private, spend something in charity before your private consultation... (58:12)
SECTION 3: Internal Enemy to be Guarded Against
14. Turn you not your attention to those who turn (in friendship) to such as have the Wrath of God upon them? They are neither of you nor of them, and they swear to falsehood knowingly. 15. God has prepared for them a severe Penalty: evil indeed are their deeds. 16. They have made their oaths a screen (for their misdeeds): thus they obstruct (men) from the Path of God: therefore shall they have a humiliating Penalty.
17. Of no profit whatever to them, against God, will be their riches nor their sons: they will be Companions of the Fire, to dwell therein (forever)! 18. One day will God raise them all up (for Judgement): then will they swear to Him as they swear to you: and they think that they have something (to stand upon). No, indeed! they are but liars! 19. The Evil One has got the better of them: so he has made them lose the remembrance of God. They are the Party of the Evil One. Truly, it is the Party of the Evil One that will perish!
20.Those who resist God and His Messenger will be among those most humiliated. 21. God has decreed: “It is I and My messengers who must prevail”: for God is One full of strength, able to enforce His Will. 22. You will not find any people who believe in God and the Last Day, loving those who resist God and His Messenger, even though they were their fathers or their sons, or their brothers, or their kindred. For such He has written Faith in their hearts, and strengthened them with a spirit from Himself. And He will admit them to Gardens beneath which Rivers flow, to dwell therein (forever). God will be well pleased with them, and they with Him. They are the Party of God. Truly it is the Party of God that will achieve Felicity.