Chapter 6: Cattle, Livestock
Section 1: Ultimate Triumph of Divine Unity
In the name of God,
Most Gracious, Most Merciful.
1. Praise be God, who created the heavens and the earth, and made the darkness and the light. Yet those who reject Faith hold (others) as equal with their Guardian-Lord. 2. He it is who created you from clay, and then decreed a stated term (for you). And there is in His presence another determined term; yet you doubt within yourselves! 3. And He is God in the heavens and on earth. He knows what you hide, and what you reveal, and He knows the (recompense) which you earn (by your deeds).
4. But never did a single one of the Signs of their Lord reach them, but they turned away therefrom. 5. And now they reject the truth when it reaches them: but soon shall they learn the reality of what they used to mock at. 6. See they not how many of those before them We did destroy? - generations We had established on the earth, in strength such as We have not given to you - for whom We poured out rain from the skies in abundance, and gave (fertile) streams flowing beneath their (feet): yet for their sins We destroyed them, and raised in their wake fresh generations (to succeed them).
7. If We had sent unto you a written (message) on parchment, so that they could touch it with their hands, the Unbelievers would have been sure to say: "This is nothing but obvious magic!" 8. They say: "Why is not an angel sent down to him?" If we did send down an angel, the matter would be settled at once, and no respite would be granted to them. 9. If We had made it an angel, We should have sent him as a man, and We should certainly have caused them confusion in a matter which they have already covered with confusion. 10. Mocked were (many) Messengers before you; but their scoffers were hemmed in by the thing that they mocked.
Section 2: Greatness of Divine Mercy
11. Say: "Travel through the earth and see what was the end of those who rejected Truth." 12. Say: "To whom belongs all that is in the heavens and on earth?" Say: "To God; He has inscribed for Himself (the rule of) Mercy. That He will gather you together for the Day of Judgment, there is no doubt whatever. It is they who have lost their own souls, that will not believe. 13. To Him belongs all that dwells (or lurks) in the night and the day. For He is the One Who hears and knows all things." 14. Say: "Shall I take for my protector any other than God, the Maker of the heavens and the earth? And He it is that feeds but is not fed." Say: "No! but I am commanded to be the first of those who bow to God (in submission), and be not you of the company of those who join gods with God." 15. Say: "I would, if I disobeyed my Lord, indeed have fear of the penalty of a Mighty Day. 16. "On that day, if the penalty is averted from any, it is due to God’s mercy; and that would be (salvation), the obvious fulfillment of all desire. 17. "If God touches you with affliction, none can remove it but He; if He touches you with happiness, He has power over all things. 18. "He is the irresistible, (watching) from above over His worshippers; and He is the Wise, acquainted with all things." 19. Say: "What thing is most weighty in evidence?" Say: "(God) is the witness between me and you; this recitation has been revealed to me by inspiration, that I may warn you and all whom it reaches. Can you possibly bear witness that besides God there is another god?" Say: "No! I cannot bear witness!" Say: "But in truth, He is the One God, and I truly am innocent of (your blasphemy of) joining others with Him." 20. Those to whom We have given the Book know this as they know their own sons. Those who have lost their own souls refuse therefore to believe.
"He is the irresistible, (watching) from above over His worshippers; and He is the Wise, acquainted with all things." (6:18)
Section 3: Polytheists’ Witness Against Themselves
21. Who does more wrong than he who invents a lie against God or rejects His signs? But verily the wrongdoers never shall prosper. 22. One day shall We gather them all together: We shall say to those who ascribed partners (to Us): "Where are the partners whom you (invented and) talked about?" 23. There will then be (left) no subterfuge for them but to say: "By God our Lord, we were not those who joined gods with God." 24. Behold! how they lie against their own souls! But the (lie) which they invented will leave them in the lurch. 25. Of them there are some who (pretend to) listen to you; but We have thrown veils on their hearts, so they understand it not, and deafness in their ears; if they saw every one of the signs, not they will believe in them; in so much that when they come to you, they (but) dispute with you; the Unbelievers say: "These are nothing but tales of the ancients." 26. Others they keep away from it, and themselves they keep away; but they only destroy their own souls, and they perceive it not. 27. If you could but see when they are confronted with the Fire! They will say: "Would that we were but sent back! Then would we not reject the signs of our Lord, but would be amongst those who believe!" 28. Yea, in their own (eyes) will become manifest what before they concealed. But if they were returned, they would certainly relapse to the things they were forbidden, for they are indeed liars. 29. And they (sometimes) say: "There is nothing except our life on this earth, and never shall we be raised up again." 30. If you could but see when they are confronted with their Lord! He will say: "Is not this the truth?" They will say: "Yea, by our Lord!" He will say: "Taste you then the penalty, because you rejected Faith."
Section 4: Rejection of the Truth
31. Lost indeed are they who treat it as a falsehood that they must meet God, - until on a sudden the hour is on them, and they say: "Ah! woe unto us that we took no thought of it"; for they bear their burdens on their backs, and evil indeed are the burdens that they bear. 32. What is the life of this world but play and amusement? But best is the home in the hereafter, for those who are righteous. Will you not then understand?
33. We know indeed the grief which their words do cause you: It is not you they reject: it is the signs of God, which the wicked condemn. 34. Rejected were the Messengers before you: with patience and constancy they bore their rejection and their wrongs, until Our aid did reach them: there is none that can alter the words (and decrees) of God. Already have you received some account of those Messengers. 35. If their spurning is hard on your mind, yet if you were able to seek a tunnel in the ground or a ladder to the skies and bring them a sign, - (what good?). If it were God’s will, He could gather them together unto true guidance: so be not you amongst those who are swayed by ignorance (and impatience)! 36. Those who listen (in truth), be sure, will accept: as to the dead, God will raise them up; then will they be turned unto Him.
37. They say: "Why is not a sign sent down to him from his Lord?" Say: "(God) has certainly power to send down a sign: but most of them understand not. 38. There is not an animal (that lives) on the earth, nor a being that flies on its wings, but (forms part of) communities like you. Nothing have we omitted from the Book, and they (all) shall be gathered to their Lord in the end. 39. Those who reject Our Signs are deaf and dumb, - in the midst of darkness profound: whom God wills, He leaves to wander: whom He wills, He places on the way that is straight. 40. Say: "Think you to yourselves, if there come upon you the wrath of God, or the Hour (that you dread), would you then call upon other than God. - (reply) if you are truthful! 41. "No, - on Him would you call, and if it be His will, He would remove (the distress) which occasioned your call upon Him, and you would forget (the false gods) which you join with Him!"
Those who listen (in truth), be sure, will accept: as to the dead, God will raise them up; then will they be turned unto Him. (6:36)
Section 5: Consequences of Rejection
42. Before you We sent (Messengers) to many nations, and We afflicted the nations with suffering and adversity, that they might learn humility. 43. When the suffering reached them from Us, why then did they not learn humility? On the contrary their hearts became hardened, and Satan made their (sinful) acts seem alluring to them. 44. But when they forgot the warning they had received, We opened to them the gates of all (good) things, until, in the midst of their enjoyment of Our gifts, on a sudden, We called them to account, when lo! they were plunged in despair! 45. Of the wrongdoers the last remnant was cut off. Praise be to God, the Cherisher of the Worlds.
46. Say: "Think you, if God took away your hearing and your sight, and sealed up your hearts, who - a god other than God - could restore them to you?" See how We explain the signs by various (symbols); yet they turn aside. 47. Say: "Think you, if the punishment of God comes to you, whether suddenly or openly, will any be destroyed except those who do wrong? 48. We send the Messengers only to give good news and to warn: so those who believe and mend (their lives), - upon them shall be no fear, nor shall they grieve. 49. But those who reject Our Signs, - them shall punishment touch, for that they ceased not from transgressing. 50. Say: "I tell you not that with me are the treasures of God, nor do I know what is hidden, nor do I tell you I am an angel. I but follow what is revealed to me." Say: "Can the blind be held equal to the seeing?" Will you then consider not?
We send the Messengers only to give good news and to warn: so those who believe and mend (their lives), - upon them shall be no fear, nor shall they grieve. (6:48)
Section 6: Reward of Believers
51. Give this warning to those in whose (hearts) is the fear that they will be brought (to judgment) before their Lord: except for Him, they will have no protector nor intercessor: that they may guard (against evil). 52. Send not away those who call on their Lord morning and evening, seeking His face. In naught are you accountable for them, and in naught are they accountable for you, that you should turn them away, and thus be (one) of the unjust. 53. Thus did We try some of them by comparison with others, that they should say: "Is it these then that God has favored from amongst us?" Does not God know best those who are grateful? 54. When those come to you who believe in Our Signs, say: “Peace be on you: your Lord has inscribed for Himself (the rule of) mercy: verily, if any of you did evil in ignorance, and thereafter repented, and amend (his conduct), lo! He is Oft- forgiving, Most Merciful.” 55. Thus do We explain the signs in detail: that the way of the sinners may be shown up.
Section 7: Divine Judgement
56. Say: "I am forbidden to worship those - other than God - whom you call upon." Say: "I will not follow your vain desires: If I did, I would stray from the path, and be not of the company of those who receive guidance." 57. Say: "For me, I (work) on a clear sign from my Lord, but you reject Him. What you would see hastened, is not in my power. The command rests with none but God. He declares the truth, and He is the best of judges." 58. Say: "If what you would see hastened were in my power, the matter would be settled at once between you and me. But God knows best those who do wrong." 59. With Him are the keys of the unseen, the treasures that none knows but He. He knows whatever there is on the earth and in the sea. Not a leaf does fall but with His knowledge: there is not a grain in the darkness (or depths) of the earth, nor anything fresh or dry (green or withered), but is (inscribed) in a record clear (to those who can read). 60. It is He who does take your souls by night, and has knowledge of all that you have done by day: by day does He raise you up again; that a term appointed be fulfilled; In the end unto Him will be your return; then will He show you the truth of all that you did.
Section 8: Divine Judgement
61. He is the irresistible, (watching) from above over His worshippers, and He sets guardians over you. At length, when death approaches one of you, Our angels take his soul, and they never fail in their duty. 62. Then are men returned unto God, their protector, the (only) reality: Is not His the command? And He is the swiftest in taking account.
63. Say: "Who is it that delivers you from the dark recesses of land and sea, when you call upon Him in humility and silent terror: 'If He only delivers us from these (dangers), (we vow) we shall truly show our gratitude'?" 64. Say "It is God that delivers you from these and all (other) distresses: and yet you worship false gods!" 65. Say: "He has power to send calamities on you, from above and below, or to cover you with confusion in party strife, giving you a taste of mutual vengeance - each from the other." See how We explain the signs by various (symbols); that they may understand. 66. But your people reject this, though it is the truth. Say: “Not mine is the responsibility for arranging your affairs; 67. For every message is a limit of time, and soon shall you know it."
68. When you see men engaged in vain discourse about Our signs, turn away from them unless they turn to a different theme. If Satan ever makes you forget, then after recollection, sit not you in the company of those who do wrong. 69. On their account no responsibility falls on the righteous, but (their duty) is to remind them, that they may (learn to) fear God. 70. Leave alone those who take their religion to be mere play and amusement, and are deceived by the life of this world. But proclaim (to them) this (truth): that every soul delivers itself to ruin by its own acts: it will find for itself no protector or intercessor except God. If it offered every ransom, (or reparation), none will be accepted: such is (the end of) those who deliver themselves to ruin by their own acts: they will have for drink (only) boiling water, and for punishment, one most grievous: for they persisted in rejecting God.
Section 9: Abraham’s Argument for Divine Unity
71. Say: "Shall we indeed call on others besides God, - things that can do us neither good nor harm, - and turn on our heels after receiving guidance from God. - like one whom the evil ones have made into a fool, wandering bewildered through the earth, his friends calling, ‘come to us’, (vainly) guiding him to the path."
Say: "(God)'s guidance is the (only) guidance, and we have been directed to submit ourselves to the Lord of the worlds; - 72. "To establish regular prayers and to fear God; for it is to Him that we shall be gathered together." 73. It is He who created the heavens and the earth in true (proportions): the day He says, "Be," behold! it is. His word is the truth. His will be the dominion the day the trumpet will be blown. He knows the unseen as well as that which is open. For He is the Wise, well acquainted (with all things).
74. Lo! Abraham said to his father Terah: "Take you idols for gods? For I see you and your people in manifest error." 75. So also did We show Abraham the power and the laws of the heavens and the earth, that he might (with understanding) have certitude. 76. When the night covered him over, he saw a star: He said: "This is my Lord." but when it set, he said: "I love not those that set." 77. When he saw the moon rising in splendor, he said: "This is my Lord." but when the moon set, he said: "Unless my Lord guide me, I shall surely be among those who go astray." 78. When he saw the sun rising in splendor, he said: "This is my Lord; this is the greatest (of all)." But when the sun set, he said: "O my people! I am indeed free from your (guilt) of giving partners to God. 79. "For me, I have set my face, firmly and truly, towards Him who created the heavens and the earth, and never shall I give partners to God." 80. His people disputed with him. He said: "(Come) you to dispute with me, about God, when He (Himself) has guided me? I fear not (the beings) you associate with God. Unless my Lord wills, (nothing can happen). My Lord comprehends in His knowledge all things. Will you not (yourselves) be admonished? 81. "How should I fear (the beings) you associate with God, when you fear not to give partners to God without any warrant having been given to you? Which of (us) two parties has more right to security? (tell me) if you know. 82. "It is those who believe and confuse not their beliefs with wrong - that are (truly) in security, for they are on (right) guidance."
Section 10: Prophets Among Abraham’s Descendants
83. That was the reasoning about Us, which We gave to Abraham (to use) against his people: We raise whom We will, degree after degree: for your Lord is full of wisdom and knowledge. 84. We gave him Isaac and Jacob: all (three) guided: and before him, We guided Noah, and among his progeny, David, Solomon, Job, Joseph, Moses, and Aaron: thus do We reward those who do good: 85. And Zechariah and John, and Jesus and Elias: all in the ranks of the righteous: 86. And Ishmael and Elisha, and Jonas, and Lot: and to all We gave favor above the nations: 87. (To them) and to their fathers, and progeny and brethren: We chose them, and we guided them to a straight way. 88. This is the guidance of God. He gives that guidance to whom He pleases, of His worshippers. If they were to join other gods with Him, all that they did would be vain for them. 89. These were the men to whom We gave the Book, and authority, and Prophethood: if these (their descendants) reject them, behold! We shall entrust their charge to a new people who reject them not. 90. Those were the (prophets) who received God’s guidance: copy the guidance they received; Say: "No reward for this do I ask of you: This is no less than a message for the nations."
This is the guidance of God. He gives that guidance to whom He pleases, of His worshippers. If they were to join other gods with Him, all that they did would be vain for them. (6:88)
Section 11: Truth of Divine Revelation
91. No just estimate of God do they make when they say: "Nothing does God send down to man (by way of revelation)" Say: "Who then sent down the Book which Moses brought? - a light and guidance to man: but you make it into (separate) sheets for show, while you conceal much (of its contents): therein were you taught that which you knew not - neither you nor your fathers." Say: "(God) (sent it down)": Then leave them to plunge in vain discourse and trifling. 92. And this is a Book which We have sent down, bringing blessings, and confirming (the revelations) which came before it: that you may warn the mother of cities and all around her. Those who believe in the Hereafter believe in this (Book), and they are constant in guarding their prayers.
93. Who can be more wicked than one who invents a lie against God, or says, "I have received inspiration," when he has received none, or (again) who says, "I can reveal the like of what God has revealed"? If you could but see how the wicked (do fare) in the flood of confusion at death! - the angels stretch forth their hands, (saying),"Yield up your souls: this day shall you receive your reward, - a penalty of shame, for that you used to tell lies against God, and scornfully to reject of His signs!" 94. "And behold! you come to us bare and alone as We created you for the first time: you have left behind you all (the favors) which We bestowed on you: We see not with you your intercessors whom you thought to be partners in your affairs: so now all relations between you have been cut off, and your (pet) fancies have left you in the lurch!"
And this is a Book which We have sent down, bringing blessings, and confirming (the revelations) which came before it: that you may warn the mother of cities and all around her. Those who believe in the Hereafter believe in this (Book), and they are constant in guarding their prayers. (6:92)
Section 12: Ultimate Triumph of the Truth
95. It is God Who causes the seed-grain and the date-stone to split and sprout. He causes the living to issue from the dead, and He is the one to cause the dead to issue from the living. That is God; then how are you deluded away from the truth? 96. He it is that cleaves the day-break (from the dark): He makes the night for rest and tranquility, and the sun and moon for the reckoning (of time): Such is the judgment and ordering of (Him), the Exalted in Power, the Omniscient. 97. It is He Who makes the stars (as beacons) for you, that you may guide yourselves, with their help, through the dark spaces of land and sea: We detail Our signs for people who know. 98. It is He Who has produced you from a single person: here is a place of sojourn and a place of departure: We detail Our signs for people who understand. 99. It is He Who sends down rain from the skies: with it We produce vegetation of all kinds: from some We produce green (crops), out of which We produce grain, heaped up (at harvest); out of the date-palm and its sheaths (or spathes) (come) clusters of dates hanging low and near: and (then there are) gardens of grapes, and olives, and pomegranates, each similar (in kind) yet different (in variety): when they begin to bear fruit, feast your eyes with the fruit and the ripeness thereof. Behold! in these things there are signs for people who believe.
100. Yet they make the Jinns equals with God, though God did create the Jinns; and they falsely, having no knowledge, attribute to Him sons and daughters. Praise and glory be to Him! (for He is) above what they attribute to Him!
Section 13: Gradual Progress
101. To Him is due the primal origin of the heavens and the earth: How can He have a son when He has no consort? He created all things, and He has full knowledge of all things. 102. That is God, your Lord! there is no god but He, the Creator of all things: then worship you Him: and He has power to dispose of all affairs. 103. No vision can grasp Him, but His grasp is over all vision: He is above all comprehension, yet is acquainted with all things.
104. "Now have come to you, from your Lord, proofs (to open your eyes): if any will see, it will be for (the good of) his own soul; if any will be blind, it will be to his own (harm): I am not (here) to watch over your doings." 105. Thus, do we explain the signs by various (symbols): that they may say, "You have taught (us) diligently," and that We may make the matter clear to those who know. 106. Follow what you are taught by inspiration from Your Lord: there is no god but He: and turn aside from those who join gods with God. 107. If it had been God’s plan, they would not have taken false gods: but We made you not one to watch over their doings, nor are you set over them to dispose of their affairs.
108. Revile not you those whom they call upon besides God, lest they out of spite revile God in their ignorance. Thus, have We made alluring to each people its own doings. In the end, will they return to their Lord, and We shall then tell them the truth of all that they did.
109. They swear their strongest oaths by God, that if a (special) sign came to them, by it they would believe. Say: "Certainly (all) signs are in the power of God; but what will make you (those who submit to God) realize that (even) if (special) signs came, they will not believe."? 110. We (too) shall turn to (confusion) their hearts and their eyes, even as they refused to believe in this in the first instance: We shall leave them in their trespasses, to wander in distraction.
That is God, your Lord! there is no god but He, the Creator of all things: then worship you Him: and He has power to dispose of all affairs. (6:102)
Section 14: Polytheists’ Opposition
111. Even if We did send unto them angels, and the dead did speak unto them, and We gathered together all things before their very eyes, they are not the ones to believe, unless it is in God’s plan. But most of them ignore (the truth). 112. Likewise did We make for every Messenger an enemy, - evil ones among men and jinns, inspiring each other with flowery discourses by way of deception. If your Lord had so planned, they would not have done it: so leave them and their inventions alone. 113. To such (deceit) let the hearts of those incline, who have no faith in the hereafter: let them delight in it, and let them earn from it what they may.
114. Say: "Shall I seek for judge other than God? - when He it is Who has sent unto you the Book, explained in detail." They know full well, to whom We have given the Book, that it has been sent down from your Lord in truth. Never be then of those who doubt. 115. The word of your Lord does find its fulfilment in truth and in justice: None can change His words: for He is the one who hears and knows all. 116. Were you to follow the common run of those on earth, they will lead you away from the way of God. They follow nothing but conjecture: they do nothing but lie. 117. Your Lord knows best who strays from His way: He knows best who they are that receive His guidance.
118. So eat of (meats) on which God’s name has been pronounced, if you have faith in His signs. 119. Why should you not eat of (meats) on which God’s name has been pronounced, when He has explained to you in detail what is forbidden to you - except under compulsion of necessity? But many do mislead (men) by their appetites unchecked by knowledge. Your Lord knows best those who transgress. 120. Eschew all sin, open or secret: those who earn sin will get due recompense for their "earnings." 121. Eat not of (meats) on which God’s name has not been pronounced: That would be impiety. But the evil ones ever inspire their friends to contend with you; if you were to obey them, you would indeed be Pagans.
Your Lord knows best who strays from His way: He knows best who they are that receive His guidance. (6:117)
Section 15: The Chief Opponents
122. Can he who was dead, to whom We gave life, and a light whereby he can walk amongst men, be like him who is in the depths of darkness, from which he can never come out? Thus, to those without faith their own deeds seem pleasing. 123. Thus have We placed leaders in every town, its wicked men, to plot (and burrow) therein: but they only plot against their own souls, and they perceive it not. 124. When there comes to them a sign (from God), they say: "We shall not believe until we receive one (exactly) like those received by God’s Messengers." God knows best where (and how) to carry out His mission. Soon will the wicked be overtaken by humiliation before God, and a severe punishment, for all their plots. 125. Those whom God (in His plan) wills to guide, - He opens their breast to Islam; those whom He wills to leave straying, - He makes their breast close and constricted, as if they had to climb up to the skies: thus, does God (heap) the penalty on those who refuse to believe. 126. This is the way of your Lord, leading straight: We have detailed the signs for those who receive admonition. 127. For them will be a home of peace in the presence of their Lord: He will be their friend, because they practiced (righteousness). 128. One day will He gather them all together, (and say): "O you assembly of Jinns! Much (toll) did you take of men." Their friends amongst men will say: "Our Lord! we made profit from each other: but (alas!) we reached our term - which you did appoint for us." He will say: "The Fire be your dwelling-place: you will dwell therein forever, except as God wills." for your Lord is full of wisdom and knowledge. 129. Thus do we make the wrongdoers turn to each other, because of what they earn.
For them will be a home of peace in the presence of their Lord: He will be their friend, because they practiced (righteousness). (6:127)
Section 16: Evils of Idolatry
130. "O you assembly of Jinns and men! came there not unto you Messengers from amongst you, setting forth unto you My signs, and warning you of the meeting of this Day of yours?" They will say: "We bear witness against ourselves." It was the life of this world that deceived them. So, against themselves will they bear witness that they rejected Faith. 131. (The Messengers were sent) thus, for your Lord would not destroy for their wrong-doing men's habitations whilst their occupants were unwarned. 132. To all are degrees (or ranks) according to their deeds: for your Lord is not unmindful of anything that they do. 133. Your Lord is self-sufficient, full of Mercy: if it were His will, He could destroy you, and in your place, appoint whom He will as your successors, even as He raised you up from the posterity of other people. 134. All that has been promised unto you will come to pass: nor can you frustrate it (in the least bit). 135. Say: "O my people! Do whatever you can: I will do (my part): soon will you know who it is whose end will be (best) in the Hereafter: certain it is that the wrong-doers will not prosper." 136. Out of what God has produced in abundance in tilth and in cattle, they assigned Him a share: they say, according to their fancies: "This is for God, and this" - for our "partners"! but the share of their "partners" reaches not God, whilst the share of God reaches their "partners"! Evil (and unjust) is their assignment! 137. Even so, in the eyes of most of the pagans, their "partners" made alluring the slaughter of their children, in order to lead them to their own destruction, and cause confusion in their religion. If God had willed, they would not have done so: But leave alone them and their inventions. 138. And they say that such and such cattle and crops are taboo, and none should eat of them except those whom - so they say - We wish; further, there are cattle forbidden to yoke or burden, and cattle on which, (at slaughter), the name of God is not pronounced; - inventions against God’s name: soon will He requite them for their inventions. 139. They say: "What is in the wombs of such and such cattle is specially reserved (for food) for our men, and forbidden to our women; but if it is still-born, then all have share therein. For their (false) attribution (of superstitions to God), He will soon punish them: for He is full of wisdom and knowledge. 140. Lost are those who slay their children, from folly, without knowledge, and forbid food which God has provided for them, inventing (lies) against God. They have indeed gone astray and heeded no guidance.
To all are degrees (or ranks) according to their deeds: for your Lord is not unmindful of anything that they do. (6:132)
Section 17: Idolaters’ Self-Imposed Prohibitions
141. It is He Who produces gardens, with trellises and without, and dates, and tilth with produce of all kinds, and olives and pomegranates, similar (in kind) and different (in variety): eat of their fruit in their season, but render the dues that are proper on the day that the harvest is gathered. But waste not by excess: for God loves not the wasters. 142. Of the cattle are some for burden and some for meat: eat what God has provided for you, and follow not the footsteps of Satan: for he is to you and avowed enemy. 143. (Take) eight (head of cattle) in (four) pairs: of sheep - a pair, and of goats a pair; say, has He forbidden the two males, or the two females, or (the young) which the wombs of the two females enclose? Tell me with knowledge if you are truthful: 144. Of camels - a pair, and oxen a pair; say, has He forbidden the two males, or the two females, or (the young) which the wombs of the two females enclose? - were you present when God ordered you such a thing? But who does more wrong than one who invents a lie against God, to lead astray men without knowledge? For God guides not people who do wrong.
Section 18: Prohibited Foods
145. Say: "I find not in the message received by me by inspiration any (meat) forbidden to be eaten by one who wishes to eat it, unless it be dead meat, or blood poured forth, or the flesh of swine, - for it is an abomination - or, what is impious, (meat) on which a name has been invoked - other than God’s". But (even so), if a person is forced by necessity, without willful disobedience, nor transgressing due limits, - your Lord is Oft-forgiving, Most Merciful. 146. For those who followed the Jewish Law, We forbade every (animal) with undivided hoof, and We forbade them that fat of the ox and the sheep, except what adheres to their backs or their entrails, or is mixed up with a bone: this in recompense for their willful disobedience: for We are true (in Our ordinances). 147. If they accuse you of falsehood, say: “Your Lord is full of mercy all-embracing;” but from people in guilt never will His wrath be turned back.
148. Those who give partners (to God) will say: "If God had wished, we should not have given partners to Him nor would our fathers; nor should we have had any taboos." So did their ancestors argue falsely, until they tasted of Our wrath. Say: "Have you any (certain) knowledge? If so, produce it before us. You follow nothing but conjecture: you do nothing but lie." 149. Say: "With God is the argument that reaches home: if it had been His will, He could indeed have guided you all." 150. Say: "Bring forward your witnesses to prove that God did forbid so and so." If they bring such witnesses, be not you amongst them: Nor follow you the vain desires of such as treat our signs as falsehoods, and such as believe not in the Hereafter: for they hold others as equal with their Guardian-Lord.
Section 19: Guiding Rules of Life
151. Say: "Come, I will rehearse what God has (really) prohibited you from": Join not anything as equal with Him; be good to your parents; kill not your children on a plea of want; - We provide sustenance for you and for them; - come not near to shameful deeds - whether open or secret; take not life, which God has made sacred, except by way of justice and law: thus does He command you, that you may learn wisdom. 152. And come not near to the orphan's property, except to improve it, until he attain the age of full strength; give measure and weight with (full) justice; - no burden do We place on any soul, but that which it can bear; - whenever you speak, speak justly, even if a near relative is concerned; and fulfil the covenant of God. Thus, does He command you, that you may remember. 153. Verily, this is My Way, leading straight: follow it: follow not (other) paths: they will scatter you about from His (great) path: thus, does He command you, that you may be righteous. 154. Moreover, We gave Moses the Book, completing (Our favor) to those who would do right, and explaining all things in detail, - and a guide and a mercy, that they might believe in the meeting with their Lord.
Section 20: The Goal for the Faithful
155. And this is a Book which We have revealed as a blessing: so, follow it and be righteous, that you may receive mercy: 156. Lest you should say: "The Book was sent down to two Peoples before us, and for our part, we remained unacquainted with all that they learned by assiduous study:" 157. Or lest you should say: "If the Book had only been sent down to us, we should have followed its guidance better than they." Now then has come unto you a clear (sign) from your Lord, - and a guide and a mercy: then who could do more wrong than one who rejects God’s signs, and turns away therefrom? In good time, shall We requite those who turn away from Our signs, with a dreadful penalty, for their turning away. 158. Are they waiting to see if the angels come to them, or your Lord (Himself), or certain of the signs of your Lord! The day that certain of the signs of your Lord do come, no good will it do to a soul to believe in them then if it believed not before nor earned righteousness through its faith. Say: "Wait you: we too are waiting." 159. As for those who divide their religion and break up into sects, you have no part in them in the least: their affair is with God. He will in the end tell them the truth of all that they did. 160. He that does good shall have ten times as much to his credit: He that does evil shall only be recompensed according to his evil: no wrong shall be done unto (any of) them.
And this is a Book which We have revealed as a blessing: so, follow it and be righteous, that you may receive mercy: (6:155)
161. Say: "Verily, my Lord has guided me to a way that is straight, - a religion of right, - the path (trod) by Abraham - the true in Faith, and he (certainly) joined not gods with God." 162. Say: "Truly, my prayer and my service of sacrifice, my life and my death, are (all) for God, the Cherisher of the Worlds: 163. No partner has He: this am I commanded, and I am the first of those who bow to His will.
164. Say: "Shall I seek for (my) Cherisher other than God, when He is the Cherisher of all things (that exist)? Every soul draws the meed of its acts on none but itself: no bearer of burdens can bear the burden of another. Your goal in the end is towards God. He will tell you the truth of the things wherein you disputed." 165. It is He Who has made you (His) agents, inheritors of the earth: He has raised you in ranks, some above others: that He may try you in the gifts He has given you: for Your Lord is quick in punishment: yet He is indeed Oft-forgiving, Most Merciful.
No partner has He: this am I commanded, and I am the first of those who bow to His will. (6:163)