Chapter 61: The Battle Array
SECTION 1: Triumph of Islam
In the name of God,
Most Gracious, Most Merciful.
1. Whatever is in the heavens and on earth, let it declare the Praises and Glory of God: for He is the Exalted in Might, the Wise.
2. O you who believe! Why say you that which you do not? 3. Grievously odious is it in the sight of God that you say that which you do not. 4. Truly God loves those who fight in His Cause in battle array, as if they were a solid cemented structure.
5. And remember, Moses said to his people: “O my people! Why do you vex and insult me, though you know that I am the messenger of God (sent) to you?” Then when they went wrong, God let their hearts go wrong. For God guides not those who are rebellious transgressors.
6. And remember, Jesus, the son of Mary, said: “O Children of Israel! I am the messenger of God (sent) to you, confirming the Law (which came) before me, and giving Glad Tidings of a Messenger to come after me, whose name shall be Aḥmad.” But when he came to them with clear Signs, they said, “This is evident sorcery!”
7. Who does greater wrong than one who invents falsehood against God, even as he is being invited to Islam? And God guides not those who do wrong. 8. Their intention is to extinguish God’s Light (by blowing) with their mouths: but God will complete (the revelation of) His Light, even though the Unbelievers may detest (it). 9. It is He Who has sent His Messenger with Guidance and the Religion of Truth, that he may proclaim it over all religion, even though the Pagans may detest (it).
SECTION 2: Establishment of Truth Needed Sacrifices
10. O you who believe! Shall I lead you to a bargain that will save you from a grievous Penalty? — 11. That you believe in God and His Messenger, and that you strive (your utmost) in the Cause of God, with your property and your persons: that will be best for you, if you but knew! 12. He will forgive you your sins, and admit you to Gardens beneath which Rivers flow, and to beautiful mansions in Gardens of Eternity: that is indeed the supreme Achievement. 13. And another (favor will He bestow,) which you do love, — help from God and a speedy victory. So give the Glad Tidings to the Believers.
He will forgive you your sins, and admit you to Gardens beneath which Rivers flow, and to beautiful mansions in Gardens of Eternity: that is indeed the supreme Achievement. (61:12)
14. O you who believe! Be you helpers of God: as said Jesus the son of Mary to the Disciples, “Who will be my helpers to (the work of) God?” Said the Disciples, “We are God’s helpers!” Then a portion of the Children of Israel believed, and a portion disbelieved: but We gave power to those who believed, against their enemies, and they became the ones that prevailed.
O you who believe! Be you helpers of God: as said Jesus the son of Mary to the Disciples, “Who will be my helpers to (the work of) God?” Said the Disciples, “We are God’s helpers!”... (61:14)