Chapter 67: The Dominion
SECTION 1: The Kingdom of God
In the name of God,
Most Gracious, Most Merciful.
1. Blessed be He in Whose hands is Dominion; and He over all things has Power; — 2. He Who created Death and Life, that He may try which of you is best in deed: and He is the Exalted in Might, Oft-Forgiving; — 3. He Who created the seven heavens one above another: no want of proportion will you see in the Creation of (God) Most Gracious. So turn your vision again: see you any flaw? 4. Again turn your vision a second time: (your) vision will come back to you dull and discomfited, in a state worn out. 5. And We have, (from of old), adorned the lowest heaven with Lamps, and We have made such (Lamps) (as) missiles to drive away the Evil Ones, and have prepared for them the Penalty of the blazing Fire.
6. For those who reject their Lord (and Cherisher) is the Penalty of Hell: and evil is (such) destination. 7. When they are cast therein, they will hear the (terrible) drawing in of its breath even as it blazes forth, 8. Almost bursting with fury: every time a Group is cast therein, its Keepers will ask, “Did no Warner come to you?” 9. They will say: “Yes indeed; a Warner did come to us, but we rejected him and said, ‘God never sent down any (Message): you are nothing but an egregious delusion!’” 10. They will further say: “Had we but listened or used our intelligence, we should not (now) be among the Companions of the blazing Fire!” 11. They will then confess their sins: but far will be (Forgiveness) from the Companions of the blazing Fire!
12. As for those who fear their Lord unseen, for them is Forgiveness and a great Reward. 13. And whether you hide your word or publish it, He certainly has (full) knowledge, of the secrets of (all) hearts. 14. Should He not know — He that created? And He is the One that understands the finest mysteries (and) is well-acquainted (with them).
And whether you hide your word or publish it, He certainly has (full) knowledge, of the secrets of (all) hearts. (67:13)
SECTION 2: The Disbelievers’ Doom
15. It is He Who has made the earth manageable for you, so traverse you through its tracts and enjoy of the Sustenance which He furnishes: but unto Him is the Resurrection. 16. Do you feel secure that He Who is in Heaven will not cause you to be swallowed up by the earth when it shakes (as in an earthquake)? 17. Or do you feel secure that He Who is in Heaven will not send against you a violent tornado (with showers of stones), so that you shall know how (terrible) was My warning? 18. But indeed men before them rejected (My warning): then how (terrible) was My rejection (of them)?
19. Do they not observe the birds above them, spreading their wings and folding them in? None can uphold them except (God) Most Gracious: truly it is He that watches over all things. 20. No, who is there that can help you, (even as) an army, besides (God) Most Merciful? In nothing but delusion are the Unbelievers. 21. Or who is there that can provide you with Sustenance if He were to withhold His provision? No, they obstinately persist in insolent impiety and flight (from the Truth).
22. Is then one who walks headlong, with his face grovelling, better guided, — or one who walks evenly on a straight Way? 23. Say: “It is He Who has created you (and made you grow), and made for you the faculties of hearing, seeing, feeling and understanding: little thanks it is you give.” 24. Say: “It is He Who has multiplied you through the earth, and to Him shall you be gathered together.”
25. They ask: When will this promise be (fulfilled)? — if you are telling the truth. 26. Say: “As to the knowledge of the time, it is with God alone: I am (sent) only to warn plainly in public.” 27. At length, when they see it close at hand, grieved will be the faces of the Unbelievers, and it will be said (to them): “This is (the promise fulfilled), which you were calling for!”
28. Say: “See you? — If God were to destroy me, and those with me, or if He bestows His Mercy on us, — yet who can deliver the Unbelievers from a grievous Penalty?” 29. Say: “He is (God) Most Gracious: we have believed in Him, and on Him have we put our trust: so, soon will you know which (of us) it is that is in manifest error.” 30. Say: “See you? — If your stream be some morning lost (in the underground earth), who then can supply you with clear-flowing water?”
It is He Who has made the earth manageable for you, so traverse you through its tracts and enjoy of the Sustenance which He furnishes: but unto Him is the Resurrection. (67:15)