Chapter 69: The Sure Reality
SECTION 1: The Doom
In the name of God,
Most Gracious, Most Merciful.
1. The Sure Reality! 2. What is the Sure Reality? 3. And what will make you realize what the Sure Reality is?
4. The Thamūd and the ‘Ād people (branded) as false the Stunning Calamity! 5. But the Thamūd, — they were destroyed by a terrible Storm of thunder and lightning! 6. And the ‘Ād, they were destroyed by a furious Wind, exceedingly violent; 7. He made it rage against them seven nights and eight days in succession: so that you could see the (whole) people lying prostrate in its (path), as if they had been roots of hollow palm trees tumbled down! 8. Then see you any of them left surviving?
9. And Pharaoh, and those before him, and the Cities Overthrown, committed habitual Sin. 10. And disobeyed (each) the messenger of their Lord; so He punished them with an abundant Penalty. 11. We, when the water (of Noah’s Flood) overflowed beyond its limits, carried you (mankind), in the floating (Ark), 12. That We might make it a Message unto you, and that ears (that should hear the tale and) retain its memory should bear its (lessons) in remembrance.
13. Then, when one blast is sounded on the Trumpet, 14. And the earth is moved, and its mountains, and they are crushed to powder at one stroke, — 15. On that Day shall the (Great) Event come to pass. 16. And the sky will be rent asunder, for it will that Day be flimsy, 17. And the angels will be on its sides, and eight will, that Day, bear the Throne of your Lord above them.
18. That Day shall you be brought to Judgement: not an act of yours that you hide will be hidden. 19. Then he that will be given his Record in his right hand will say: “Ah here! Read you my Record! 20. I did really understand that my Account would (one Day) reach me!” 21. And he will be in a life of Bliss, 22. In a Garden on high, 23. The Fruits whereof (will hang in bunches) low and near. 24. “Eat you and drink you, with full satisfaction; because of the (good) that you sent before you, in the days that are gone!”
25. And he that will be given his Record in his left hand, will say: “Ah! Would that my Record had not been given to me! 26. And that I had never realised how my account (stood)! 27. Ah! Would that (Death) had made an end of me! 28. Of no profit to me has been my wealth! 29. My power has perished from me!”
30. (The stern command will say): “Seize you him, and bind you him, 31. And burn you him in the blazing Fire. 32. Further, make him march in a chain, whereof the length is seventy cubits! 33. This was he that would not believe in God Most High, 34. And would not encourage the feeding of the indigent! 35. So no friend has he here this Day. 36. Nor has he any food except the corruption from the washing of wounds, 37. Which none do eat but those in sin.”
SECTION 2: False Allegations Refuted
38. So I do call to witness what you see, 39.And what you see not, 40. That this is verily the word of an honored messenger; 41. It is not the word of a poet: little it is you believe! 42. Nor is it the word of a soothsayer: little admonition it is you receive. 43. (This is) a Message sent down from the Lord of the Worlds.
44. And if the messenger were to invent any sayings in Our name, 45. We should certainly seize him by his right hand, 46. And We should certainly then cut off the artery of his heart: 47. Nor could any of you withhold him (from Our wrath).
48. But verily this is a Message for the God-fearing. 49. And We certainly know that there are amongst you those that reject (it). 50. But truly (Revelation) is a cause of sorrow for the Unbelievers. 51. But verily it is Truth of assured certainty. 52. So glorify the name of your Lord Most High.
But verily this is a Message for the God-fearing. (69:48)