Chapter 73: Folded in Garments
SECTION 1: The Prophet Enjoined to Pray
In the name of God,
Most Gracious, Most Merciful.
1. O you folded in garments! 2. Stand (to prayer) by night, but not all night, — 3. Half of it — or a little less, 4. Or a little more; and recite the Qur’ān in slow, measured rhythmic tones.
5. Soon shall We send down to you a weighty Message. 6. Truly the rising by night is most potent for governing (the soul), and most suitable for (framing) the Word (of prayer and praise). 7. True, there is for you by day prolonged occupation with ordinary duties: 8. But keep in remembrance the name of your Lord and devote yourself to Him wholeheartedly. 9. (He is) Lord of the East and the West: there is no god but He: take Him therefore for (your) Disposer of Affairs.
10. And have patience with what they say, and leave them with noble (dignity). 11. And leave Me (alone to deal with) those in possession of the good things of life, who (yet) deny the Truth; and bear with them for a little while. 12. With Us are Fetters (to bind them), and a Fire (to burn them), 13. And a Food that chokes, and a Penalty grievous. 14. One Day the earth and the mountains will be in violent commotion. And the mountains will be as a heap of sand poured out and flowing down.
15. We have sent to you, (O men!) a messenger, to be a witness concerning you, even as We sent a messenger to Pharaoh. 16. But Pharaoh disobeyed the messenger; so We seized him with a heavy Punishment. 17. Then how shall you, if you deny (God), guard yourselves against a Day that will make children hoary-headed? — 18. Whereon the sky will be cleft asunder? His Promise needs must be accomplished. 19. Verily this is an Admonition; therefore, whoever will, let him take a (straight) path to his Lord!
(He is) Lord of the East and the West: there is no god but He: take Him therefore for (your) Disposer of Affairs. (73:9)
SECTION 2: Prayer Enjoined on Muslims
20. Your Lord does know that you stand forth (to prayer) almost two-thirds of the night, or half the night, or a third of the night, and so do a party of those with you. But God does appoint night and day in due measure. He knows that you are unable to keep count thereof. So He has turned to you (in mercy): read you, therefore, of the Qur’ān as much as may be easy for you. He knows that there may be (some) among you in ill-health; others travelling through the land, seeking of God’s bounty; yet others fighting in God’s Cause. Read you, therefore, as much of the Qur’ān as may be easy (for you); and establish regular prayer and give regular charity; and loan to God a Beautiful Loan. And whatever good you send forth for your souls you shall find it in God’s Presence, — indeed, better and greater, in Reward, and seek you the Grace of God: for God is Oft-forgiving, Most Merciful.
...Read you, therefore, as much of the Qur’ān as may be easy (for you); and establish regular prayer and give regular charity;... (73:20)