Chapter 80: He Frowned
In the name of God,
Most Gracious, Most Merciful.
1. (The Prophet) frowned and turned away, 2. Because there came to him the blind man (interrupting). 3. But what could tell you but that perchance he might grow (in spiritual understanding)? — 4. Or that he might receive admonition, and the teaching might profit him? 5. As to one who regards himself as self-sufficient, 6. To him do you attend; 7. Though it is no blame to you if he grow not (in spiritual understanding). 8. But as to him who came to you striving earnestly, 9. And with fear (in his heart), 10. Of him were you unmindful.
11. By no means (should it be so)! For it is indeed a Message of instruction: 12. Therefore let whoever will, keep it in remembrance.
13. (It is) in Books held (greatly) in honor, 14. Exalted (in dignity), kept pure and holy, 15. (Written) by the hands of scribes — 16. Honorable and Pious and Just.
17. Woe to man! What has made him reject God; 18. From what stuff has He created him? 19. From a sperm-drop: He has created him, and then molded him in due proportions; 20. Then does He make his path smooth for him; 21. Then He causes him to die, and puts him in his Grave; 22. Then, when it is His Will, He will raise him up (again). 23. By no means has he fulfilled what God has commanded him.
24. Then let man look at his food, (and how We provide it): 25. For that We pour forth water in abundance, 26. And We split the earth in fragments, 27. And produce therein Corn, 28. And Grapes and nutritious Plants, 29. And Olives and Dates, 30. And enclosed Gardens, dense with lofty trees, 31. And Fruits and Fodder, — 32. For use and convenience to you and your cattle.
33. At length, when there comes the Deafening Noise, — 34. That Day shall a man flee from his own brother, 35. And from his mother and his father, 36. And from his wife and his children. 37. Each one of them, that Day, will have enough concern (of his own) to make him indifferent to the others.
38. Some faces that Day will be beaming, 39. Laughing, rejoicing. 40. And other faces that Day will be dust-stained; 41. Blackness will cover them: 42. Such will be the Rejecters of God, the Doers of Iniquity.