Chapter 89: The Break of Day
In the name of God,
Most Gracious, Most Merciful.
1. By the Break of Day; 2. By the Nights twice five; 3. By the Even and Odd (contrasted); 4. And by the Night when it passes away; — 5. Is there (not) in these an adjuration (or evidence) for those who understand?
6. See you not how your Lord dealt with the ‘Ād (people), — 7. Of the (city of) Iram, with lofty pillars, 8. The like of which were not produced in (all) the land? 9. And with the Thamūd (people), who cut out (huge) rocks in the valley? — 10. And with Pharaoh, Lord of Stakes? 11. (All) these transgressed beyond bounds in the lands, 12. And heaped therein mischief (on mischief). 13. Therefore did your Lord pour on them a scourge of diverse chastisements: 14. For your Lord is (as a Guardian) on a watchtower.
15. Now, as for man, when his Lord tries him, giving him honor and gifts, then says he, (puffed up), “My Lord has honored me.” 16. But when He tries him, restricting his subsistence for him, then says he (in despair), “My Lord has humiliated me!”
17. No, no! But you honor not the orphans! 18. Nor do you encourage one another to feed the poor! — 19. And you devour Inheritance — all with greed, 20. And you love wealth with inordinate love!
21. No! When the earth is pounded to powder, 22. And your Lord comes, and His angels, rank upon rank, 23. And Hell, that Day, is brought (face to face), — on that Day will man remember, but how will that remembrance profit him? 24. He will say: “Ah! Would that I had sent forth (Good Deeds) for (this) my (Future) Life!” 25. For, that Day, His Chastisement will be such as none (else) can inflict, 26. And His bonds will be such as none (other) can bind.
27. (To the righteous soul will be said:) “O (you) soul, in (complete) rest and satisfaction! 28. Come back you to your Lord, — well pleased (yourself), and well-pleasing unto Him! 29. Enter you, then, among My devotees! 30. Indeed, enter you My Heaven!