Chapter 96: The Clinging Clot
In the name of God,
Most Gracious, Most Merciful.
1. Proclaim! (or Read!) in the name of your Lord and Cherisher, Who created — 2. Created man, out of a (mere) clot of congealed blood: 3. Proclaim! And your Lord is Most Bountiful, — 4. He Who taught (the use of) the Pen, — 5. Taught man that which he knew not.
6. No, but man does transgress all bounds, 7. In that he looks upon himself as self-sufficient. 8. Verily, to your Lord is the return (of all).
9. See you one who forbids — 10. A votary when he (turns) to pray? 11. See you if he is on (the road of) Guidance? — 12. Or enjoins Righteousness? 13. See you if he denies (Truth) and turns away?
14. Knows he not that God does see? 15. Let him beware! If he desist not, We will drag him by the forelock, — 16. A lying, sinful forelock! 17. Then, let him call (for help) to his council (of comrades): 18. We will call on the angels of punishment (to deal with him)!
19. No, heed him not: but bow down in adoration, and bring yourself the closer (to God)!