Chapter 29: The Spider
Section 5: The Qur’an is a Purifier
45. Recite what is sent of the Book by inspiration to you, and establish regular Prayer: for Prayer restrains from shameful and unjust deeds; and remembrance of God is the greatest (thing in life) without doubt. And God knows the (deeds) that you do. 46. And dispute you not with the People of the Book, except with means better (than mere disputation), unless it be with those of them who inflict wrong (and injury): but say, "We believe in the revelation which has come down to us and in that which came down to you; Our God and your God is One; and it is to Him we bow (in submission)." 47. And thus (it is) that We have sent down the Book to you. So the People of the Book believe therein, as also do some of these (pagan Arabs): and none but Unbelievers reject our signs. 48. And you were not (able) to recite a Book before this (Book came), nor are you (able) to transcribe it with your right hand: In that case, indeed, would the talkers of vanities have doubted. 49. No, here are Signs self-evident in the hearts of those endowed with knowledge: and none but the unjust reject Our Signs. 50. Yet they say: "Why are not Signs sent down to him from his Lord?" Say: "The signs are indeed with God; and I am indeed a clear Warner." 51. And is it not enough for them that We have sent down to you the Book which is rehearsed to them? Verily, in it is Mercy and a Reminder to those who believe.
Recite what is sent of the Book by inspiration to you, and establish regular Prayer: for Prayer restrains from shameful and unjust deeds; and remembrance of God is the greatest (thing in life) without doubt. And God knows the (deeds) that you do. (29:45)
Section 6: Warning and Consolation
52. Say: "Enough is God for a witness between me and you: He knows what is in the heavens and on earth. And it is those who believe in vanities and reject God, that will perish (in the end)."
53. They ask you to hasten on the Punishment (for them): had it not been for a term (of respite) appointed, the Punishment would certainly have come to them: and it will certainly reach them, – of a sudden, while they perceive not! 54. They ask you to hasten on the Punishment: but, of a surety, Hell will encompass the Rejecters of Faith! – 55. On the Day that the Punishment shall cover them from above them and from below them, and (a Voice) shall say: "Taste you (the fruits) of your deeds!"
56. O My servants who believe! truly, spacious is My Earth: therefore, serve you Me – (and Me alone)! 57. Every soul shall have a taste of death in the end to Us shall you be brought back. 58. But those who believe and work deeds of righteousness – to them shall We give a Home in Heaven, – lofty mansions beneath which flow rivers, – to dwell therein forever; – an excellent reward for those who do (good)! – 59. Those who persevere in patience, and put their trust, in their Lord and Cherisher.
60. How many are the creatures that carry not their own sustenance? It is God who feeds (both) them and you: for He hears and knows (all things). 61. If indeed you ask them who has created the heavens and the earth and subjected the sun and the moon (to His Law), they will certainly reply, "(God)". How are they then deluded away (from the truth)? 62. God enlarges the sustenance (which He gives) to whichever of His servants He pleases; and He (similarly) grants by (strict) measure, (as He pleases): for God has full knowledge of all things. 63. And if indeed you ask them who it is that sends down rain from the sky, and gives life therewith to the earth after its death, they will certainly reply, "(God)!" Say, "Praise be to God." But most of them understand not.
Section 7: Triumph of the Faithful
64. What is the life of this world but amusement and play? but verily the Home in the Hereafter, – that is life indeed, if they but knew. 65. Now, if they embark on a boat, they call on God, making their devotion sincerely (and exclusively) to Him; but when He has delivered them safely to (dry) land, behold, they give a share (of their worship to others)! – 66. Disdaining ungratefully Our gifts, and giving themselves up to (worldly) enjoyment! But soon will they know. 67. Do they not then see that We have made a sanctuary secure, and that men are being snatched away from all around them? Then, do they believe in that which is vain, and reject the Grace of God. 68. And who does more wrong than he who invents a lie against God or rejects the Truth when it reaches him? Is there not a home in Hell for those who reject Faith? 69. And those who strive in Our (cause), – We will certainly guide them to our Paths: For verily God is with those who do right.
Chapter 30: The Roman Empire
SECTION 1: A Great Prophecy
In the name of God,
Most Gracious, Most Merciful.
1. Alif Lām Mīm. 2. The Roman Empire has been defeated, — 3. In a land close by; but they, (even) after (this) defeat of theirs, will soon be victorious, — 4. Within a few years. With God is the Decision, in the Past and in the Future: on that Day shall the Believers rejoice, — 5. With the help of God. He helps whom He will, and He is Exalted in Might, Most Merciful. 6. (It is) the promise of God. Never does God depart from His promise: but most men understand not. 7. They know but the outer (things) in the life of this world: but of the End of things they are heedless.
8. Do they not reflect in their own minds? Not but for just ends and for a term appointed, did God create the heavens and the earth, and all between them: yet are there truly many among men who deny the meeting with their Lord (at the Resurrection)! 9. Do they not travel through the earth, and see what was the End of those before them? They were superior to them in strength: they tilled the soil and populated it in greater numbers than these have done: there came to them their messengers with clear (Signs). (Which they rejected, to their own destruction): it was not God Who wronged them, but they wronged their own souls. 10. In the long run evil in the extreme will be the End of those who do evil; for that they rejected the Signs of God, and held them up to ridicule.
SECTION 2: The Two Parties
11. It is God Who begins (the process of) creation; then repeats it; then shall you be brought back to Him. 12. On the Day that the Hour will be established, the guilty will be struck dumb with despair. 13. No intercessor will they have among their “Partners” and they will (themselves) reject their “Partners”. 14. On the Day that the Hour will be established, — that Day shall (all men) be sorted out. 15. Then those who have believed and worked righteous deeds, shall be made happy in a Mead of Delight. 16. And those who have rejected Faith and falsely denied Our Signs and the meeting of the Hereafter,—such shall be brought forth to Punishment.
17. So (give) glory to God, when you reach eventide and when you rise in the morning; 18. Indeed, to Him be praise, in the heavens and on earth; and in the late afternoon and when the day begins to decline. 19. It is He Who brings out the living from the dead, and brings out the dead from the living, and Who gives life to the earth after it is dead: and thus shall you be brought out (from the dead).
SECTION 3: Manifestations of Divine Power in Nature
20. Among His Signs is this, that He created you from dust; and then,—behold, you are men scattered (far and wide)! 21. And among His Signs is this, that He created for you mates from among yourselves, that you may dwell in tranquillity with them, and He has put love and mercy between your (hearts): verily in that are Signs for those who reflect. 22. And among His Signs is the creation of the heavens and the earth, and the variations in your languages and your colors: verily in that are Signs for those who know. 23. And among His Signs is the sleep that you take by night and by day, and the quest that you (make for livelihood) out of His Bounty: verily in that are Signs for those who listen. 24. And among His Signs, He shows you the lightning, by way both of fear and of hope, and He sends down rain from the sky and with it gives life to the earth after it is dead: verily in that are Signs for those who are wise. 25. And among His Signs is this, that heaven and earth stand by His Command: then when He calls you, by a single call, from the earth, behold, you (straightway) come forth. 26. To Him belongs every being that is in the heavens and on earth: all are devoutly obedient to Him. 27. It is He Who begins (the process of) creation; then repeats it; and for Him it is most easy. To Him belongs the loftiest similitude (we can think of) in the heavens and the earth: for He is Exalted in Might, full of wisdom.
He created for you mates from among yourselves, that you may dwell in tranquillity with them, and He has put love and mercy between your (hearts): verily in that are Signs for those who reflect. (30:21)
SECTION 4: Appeal to Human Nature
28. He does propound to you a similitude from your own (experience): do you have partners among those whom your right hands possess, to share as equals in the wealth We have bestowed on you? Do you fear them as you fear each other? Thus do We explain the Signs in detail to a people that understand. 29. No, the wrong-doers (merely) follow their own lusts, being devoid of knowledge. But who will guide those whom God leaves astray? To them there will be no helpers.
30. So set you your face steadily and truly to the Faith: (establish) God’s handiwork according to the pattern on which He has made mankind: no change (let there be) in the work (wrought) by God: that is the standard Religion: but most among mankind understand not. 31. Turn you back in repentance to Him, and fear Him: establish regular prayers, and be not you among those who join gods with God, — 32. Those who split up their Religion, and become (mere) Sects,—each party rejoicing in that which is with itself!
33. When trouble touches men, they cry to their Lord, turning back to Him in repentance: but when He gives them a taste of Mercy as from Himself, behold, some of them pay part-worship to other gods besides their Lord, — 34. (As if) to show their ingratitude for the (favors) We have bestowed on them! Then enjoy (your brief day); but soon will you know (your folly). 35. Or have We sent down authority to them, which points out to them the things to which they pay part-worship? 36. When We give men a taste of Mercy, they exult thereat: and when some evil afflicts them because of what their (own) hands have sent forth, behold, they are in despair! 37. See they not that God enlarges the provision and restricts it, to whomsoever He pleases? Verily in that are Signs for those who believe.
38. So give what is due to kindred, the needy, and the wayfarer. That is best for those who seek the Countenance, of God, and it is they who will prosper. 39. That which you lay out for increase through the property of (other) people, will have no increase with God: but that which you lay out for charity, seeking the Countenance of God, (will increase): it is these who will get a recompense multiplied. 40. It is God Who has created you: further, He has provided for your sustenance; then He will cause you to die; and again He will give you life. Are there any of your (false) “Partners” who can do any single one of these things? Glory to Him! And High is He above the partners they attribute (to Him)!
...no change (let there be) in the work (wrought) by God: that is the standard Religion:... (30:30)
SECTION 5: Transformation
41. Mischief has appeared on land and sea because of (the deed) that the hands of men have earned, that (God) may give them a taste of some of their deeds: in order that they may turn back (from Evil). 42. Say: “Travel through the earth and see what was the End of those before (you): most of them worshipped others besides God.” 43. But set you your face to the right Religion, before there come from God the Day which there is no chance of averting: on that Day shall men be divided (in two). 44. Those who reject Faith will suffer from that rejection: and those who work righteousness will spread their couch (of repose) for themselves (in heaven): 45. That He may reward those who believe and work righteous deeds, out of His Bounty. For He loves not those who reject Faith.
46. Among His Signs is this, that He sends the Winds, as heralds of Glad Tidings, giving you a taste of His (Grace and) Mercy,—that the ships may sail (majestically) by His Command and that you may seek of His Bounty: in order that you may be grateful. 47. We did indeed send, before you, messengers to their (respective) peoples, and they came to them with clear Signs: then, to those who transgressed, We meted out Retribution: and it was due from Us to aid those who believed.
48. It is God Who sends the Winds, and they raise the Clouds: then does He spread them in the sky as He wills, and break them into fragments, until you see raindrops issue from the midst thereof: then when He has made them reach such of His servants as He wills, behold, they do rejoice! — 49. Even though, before they received (the rain)—just before this—they were dumb with despair! 50. Then contemplate (O man!) the memorials of God’s Mercy! — how He gives life to the earth after its death: verily the Same will give life to the men who are dead: for He has power over all things. 51. And if We (but) send a Wind from which they see (their tilth) turn yellow,—behold, they become, thereafter, ungrateful (Unbelievers)! 52. So verily you cannot make the dead to hear, nor can you make the deaf to hear the call, when they show their backs and turn away. 53. Nor can you lead back the blind from their straying: only those will you make to hear, who believe in Our Signs and submit (their wills in Islam).
SECTION 6: Overthrow of Opposition
54. It is God Who created you in a state of (helpless) weakness, then gave (you) strength after weakness, then, after strength, gave (you) weakness and a hoary head: He creates as He wills, and it is He Who has all knowledge and power. 55. On the Day that the Hour (of reckoning) will be established, the transgressors will swear that they tarried not but an hour: thus were they used to being deluded! 56. But those endued with knowledge and faith will say: “Indeed you did tarry, within God’s Decree, to the Day of Resurrection, and this is the Day of Resurrection: but you — you were not aware!” 57. So on that Day no excuse of theirs will avail the transgressors, nor will they be invited (then) to seek grace (by repentance).
58. Verily We have propounded for men, in this Qur’ān, every kind of Parable: but if you bring to them any Sign, the Unbelievers are sure to say, “You do nothing but talk vanities.” 59. Thus does God seal up the hearts of those who understand not. 60. So patiently persevere: for verily the promise of God is true: nor let those shake your firmness, who have (themselves) no certainty of faith.
So patiently persevere: for verily the promise of God is true: nor let those shake your firmness, who have (themselves) no certainty of faith. (30:60)
Chapter 31: Luqman
SECTION 1: Believers Will be Successful
In the name of God,
Most Gracious, Most Merciful.
1.Alif Lām Mīm. 2. These are Verses of the Wise Book, — 3. A Guide and a Mercy to the Doers of Good, — 4. Those who establish regular prayer, and give regular charity, and have (in their hearts) the assurance of the Hereafter. 5. These are on (true) guidance from their Lord; and these are the ones who will prosper.
6. But there are, among men, those who purchase idle tales, without knowledge (or meaning), to mislead (men) from the Path of God and throw ridicule (on the Path): for such there will be a humiliating Penalty. 7. When Our Signs are rehearsed to such a one, he turns away in arrogance, as if he heard them not, as if there were deafness in both his ears: announce to him a grievous Penalty. 8. For those who believe and work righteous deeds, there will be Gardens of Bliss, — 9. To dwell therein. The promise of God is true: and He is Exalted in power, Wise.
10. He created the heavens without any pillars that you can see; He set on the earth mountains standing firm, lest it should shake with you; and He scattered through it beasts of all kinds. We send down rain from the sky, and produce on the earth every kind of noble creature, in pairs. 11. Such is the Creation of God: now show Me what is there that others besides Him have created: no, but the Transgressors are in manifest error.
...We send down rain from the sky, and produce on the earth every kind of noble creature, in pairs. (31:10)
SECTION 2: Luqmān’s Advice to His Son
12. We bestowed (in the past) wisdom on Luqmān: “Show (your) gratitude to God.” Any who is (so) grateful does so to the profit of his own soul: but if any is ungrateful, verily God is free of all wants, Worthy of all praise. 13. Behold, Luqmān said to his son by way of instruction: “O my son! Join not in worship (others) with God: for false worship is indeed the highest wrong-doing.” 14. And We have enjoined on man (to be good) to his parents: in travail upon travail did his mother bear him, and in years twain was his weaning: (hear the command), “Show gratitude to Me and to your parents: to Me is (your final) Goal. 15. But if they strive to make you join in worship with Me things of which you have no knowledge, obey them not; yet bear them company in this life with justice (and consideration), and follow the way of those who turn to Me (in love): in the End the return of you all is to Me, and I will tell you the truth (and meaning) of all that you did.” 16. “O my son!” (said Luqmān), “If there be (but) the weight of a mustard seed and it were (hidden) in a rock, or (anywhere) in the heavens or on earth, God will bring it forth: for God understands the finest mysteries, (and) is well-acquainted (with them). 17. O my son! Establish regular prayer, enjoin what is just, and forbid what is wrong: and bear with patient constancy whatever betide you; for this is firmness (of purpose) in (the conduct of) affairs. 18. And swell not your cheek (for pride) at men, nor walk in insolence through the earth; for God loves not any arrogant boaster. 19. And be moderate in your pace, and lower your voice; for the harshest of sounds without doubt is the braying of the ass.”
And swell not your cheek (for pride) at men, nor walk in insolence
through the earth; for God loves not any arrogant boaster. (31:18)
SECTION 3: Greatness of Divine Power
20. Do you not see that God has subjected to your (use) all things in the heavens and on earth, and has made His bounties flow to you in exceeding measure, (both) seen and unseen? Yet there are among men those who dispute about God, without knowledge and without guidance, and without a Book to enlighten them! 21. When they are told to follow the (Revelation) that God has sent down, they say: “No, we shall follow the ways that we found our fathers (following).” What! Even if it is Satan beckoning them to the Penalty of the (blazing) Fire?
22. Whoever submits his whole self to God, and is a doer of good, has grasped indeed the most trustworthy handhold: and with God rests the End and Decision of (all) affairs. 23. But if any reject Faith, let not his rejection grieve you: to Us is their return, and We shall tell them the truth of their deeds: for God knows well all that is in (men’s) hearts. 24. We grant them their pleasure for a little while: in the end shall We drive them to a chastisement unrelenting.
25. If you ask them, who it is that created the heavens and the earth, they will certainly say, “God”. Say: “Praise be to God!” But most of them understand not. 26. To God belong all things in heaven and earth: verily God is He (that is) Free of all wants, Worthy of all praise. 27. And if all the trees on earth were pens and the Ocean (were ink), with seven Oceans behind it to add to its (supply), yet would not the Words of God be exhausted (in the writing): for God is Exalted in power, full of Wisdom. 28. And your creation or your resurrection is in no wise but as an individual soul: for God is He Who hears and sees (all things). 29. See you not that God merges Night into Day and He merges Day into Night; that He has subjected the sun, and the moon (to His Law), each running its course for a term appointed; and that God is well-acquainted with all that you do? 30. That is because God is the (only) Reality, and because whatever else they invoke besides Him is Falsehood; and because God,—He is the Most High, Most Great.
Do you not see that God has subjected to your (use) all things in the heavens and on earth, and has made His bounties flow to you in exceeding measure, (both) seen and unseen?... (31:20)
SECTION 4: The Doom Comes
31. See you not that the ships sail through the Ocean by the grace of God?—that He may show you of His Signs? Verily in this are Signs for all who constantly persevere and give thanks. 32. When a wave covers them like the canopy (of clouds), they call to God, offering Him sincere devotion. But when He has delivered them safely to land, there are among them those that halt between (right and wrong). But none reject Our Signs except only a perfidious ungrateful (wretch)! 33. O mankind! Do your duty to your Lord, and fear (the coming of) a Day when no father can avail aught for his son, nor a son avail aught for his father. Verily, the promise of God is true: let not then this present life deceive you, nor let the Chief Deceiver deceive you about God. 34. Verily the knowledge of the Hour is with God (alone). It is He Who sends down rain, and He Who knows what is in the wombs. Nor does anyone know what it is that he will earn on the morrow; nor does anyone know in what land he is to die. Verily with God is full knowledge and He is acquainted (with all things).
Chapter 32: The Postration
SECTION 1: Islam Will be Established
In the name of God,
Most Gracious, Most Merciful.
1. Alif Lām M īm.
2. (This is) the revelation of the Book in which there is no doubt,—from the Lord of the Worlds. 3. Or do they say, “He has forged it”? No, it is the Truth from your Lord, that you may admonish a people to whom no warner has come before you: in order that they may receive guidance.
4. It is God Who has created the heavens and the earth, and all between them, in six Days, and is firmly established on the Throne (of authority): you have none, besides Him, to protect or intercede (for you): will you not then receive admonition? 5. He rules (all) affairs from the heavens to the earth: in the end will (all affairs) go up to Him, on a Day, the space whereof will be (as) a thousand years of your reckoning. 6. Such is He, the Knower of all things, hidden and open, the Exalted (in power), the Merciful; — 7. He Who has made everything which He has created most good: He began the creation of man with (nothing more than) clay, 8. And made his progeny from a quintessence of the nature of a fluid despised: 9. But He fashioned him in due proportion, and breathed into him something of His spirit. And He gave you (the faculties of) hearing and sight and feeling (and understanding): little thanks do you give! 10. And they say: “What! When we lie, hidden and lost, in the earth, shall we indeed be in a Creation renewed?” No, they deny the Meeting with their Lord! 11. Say: “The Angel of Death, put in charge of you, will (duly) take your souls: then shall you be brought back to your Lord.”
He Who has made everything which He has created most good: He began the creation of man with (nothing more than) clay, (32:7)
SECTION 2: Believers and Disbelievers—a Comparison
12. If only you could see when the guilty ones will bend low their heads before their Lord, (saying:) “Our Lord! We have seen and we have heard: now then send us back (to the world): we will work righteousness: for we do indeed (now) believe.” 13. If We had so willed, We could certainly have brought every soul its true guidance: but the Word from Me will come true, “I will fill Hell with Jinns and men all together.” 14. “Taste you then—for you forgot the Meeting of this Day of yours, and We too will forget you—taste you the Penalty of Eternity for your (evil) deeds!” 15. Only those believe in Our Signs, who, when they are recited to them, fall down in adoration, and celebrate the praises of their Lord, nor are they (ever) puffed up with pride. 16. Their limbs do forsake their beds of sleep, the while they call on their Lord, in Fear and Hope: and they spend (in charity) out of the sustenance which We have bestowed on them. 17. Now no person knows what delights of the eye are kept hidden (in reserve) for them—as a reward for their (good) deeds.
18. Is then the man who believes no better than the man who is rebellious and wicked? Not equal are they. 19. For those who believe and do righteous deeds, are Gardens as hospitable homes, for their (good) deeds. 20. As to those who are rebellious and wicked, their abode will be the Fire: every time they wish to get away therefrom, they will be forced thereinto, and it will be said to them: “Taste you the Penalty of the Fire, the which you were wont to reject as false.” 21. And indeed We will make them taste of the Penalty of this (life) prior to the supreme Penalty, in order that they may (repent and) return. 22. And who does more wrong than one to whom are recited the Signs of his Lord, and who then turns away therefrom? Verily from those who transgress We shall exact (due) Retribution.
SECTION 3: Dead Earth Will Receive Life
23. We did indeed aforetime give the Book to Moses: be not then in doubt of its reaching (you): and We made it a guide to the Children of Israel. 24. And We appointed, from among them, leaders, giving guidance under Our command, so long as they persevered with patience and continued to have faith in Our Signs. 25. Verily your Lord will judge between them on the Day of Judgement, in the matters wherein they differ (among themselves), 26. Does it not teach them a lesson, how many generations We destroyed before them, in whose dwellings they (now) go to and fro? Verily in that are Signs: do they not then listen? 27. And do they not see that We do drive rain to parched soil (bare of herbage), and produce therewith crops, providing food for their cattle and themselves? Have they not the vision?
28. They say: “When will this decision be, if you are telling the truth?” 29. Say: “On the Day of Decision, no profit will it be to Unbelievers if they (then) believe! Nor will they be granted a respite.” 30. So turn away from them, and wait: they too are waiting.
We did indeed aforetime give the Book to Moses: be not then in doubt of its reaching (you): and We made it a guide to the Children of Israel. (32:23)
Chapter 33: The Confederates
SECTION 1: Spiritual and Physical Relationship
In the name of God,
Most Gracious, Most Merciful.
1. O Prophet! Fear God, and listen not to the Unbelievers and the Hypocrites: verily God is full of knowledge and wisdom. 2. But follow that which comes to you by inspiration from your Lord: for God is well acquainted with (all) that you do. 3. And put your trust in God, and enough is God as a Disposer of affairs.
4. God has not made for any man two hearts in his (one) body: nor has He made your wives whom you divorce by Ẓihār your mothers: nor has He made your adopted sons your sons. Such is (only) your (manner of) speech by your mouths. But God tells (you) the Truth, and He shows the (right) Way. 5. Call them by (the names of) their fathers: that is juster in the sight of God. But if you know not their father’s (names, call them) your Brothers in faith, or your Mawlās. But there is no blame on you if you make a mistake therein: (what counts is) the intention of your hearts: and God is Oft-Returning, Most Merciful. 6. The Prophet is closer to the Believers than their own selves, and his wives are their mothers. Blood-relations among each other have closer personal ties, in the Decree of God, than (the Brotherhood of) Believers and Muhājirs: nevertheless do you what is just to your closest friends: such is the writing in the Decree (of God).
7. And remember We took from the Prophets their Covenant: as (We did) from you: from Noah, Abraham, Moses, and Jesus the son of Mary: We took from them a solemn Covenant: 8. That (God) may question the (Custodians) of Truth concerning the Truth they (were charged with): and He has prepared for the Unbelievers a grievous Penalty.
We did indeed aforetime give the Book to Moses: be not then in doubt of its reaching (you): and We made it a guide to the Children of Israel. (33:3)
SECTION 2: The Allies’ Attack on Medina
9. O you who believe! Remember the Grace of God, (bestowed) on you, when there came down on you hosts (to overwhelm you): but We sent against them a hurricane and forces that you saw not: but God sees (clearly) all that you do. 10. Behold! They came on you from above you and from below you, and behold, the eyes became dim and the hearts gaped up to the throats, and you imagined various (vain) thoughts about God! 11. In that situation were the Believers tried: they were shaken as by a tremendous shaking.
12. And behold! The Hypocrites and those in whose hearts is a disease (even) say: “God and His Messenger promised us nothing but delusions!” 13. Behold! A party among them said: “You men of Yathrib! You cannot stand (the attack)! Therefore go back!” And a band of them ask for leave of the Prophet, saying, “Truly our houses are bare and exposed,” though they were not exposed: they intended nothing but to run away. 14. And if an entry had been effected to them from the sides of the (City), and they had been incited to sedition, they would certainly have brought it to pass, with none but a brief delay! 15. And yet they had already covenanted with God not to turn their backs, and a covenant with God must (surely) be answered for. 16. Say: “Running away will not profit you if you are running away from death or slaughter; and even if (you do escape), no more than a brief (respite) will you be allowed to enjoy!” 17. Say: “Who is it that can screen you from God if it be His wish to give you Punishment or to give you Mercy?” Nor will they find for themselves, besides God, any protector or helper. 18. Verily God knows those among you who keep back (men) and those who say to their brethren, “Come along to us”, but come not to the fight except for just a little while, 19. Covetous over you. Then when fear comes, you will see them looking to you, their eyes revolving, like (those of) one over whom hovers death: but when the fear is past, they will smite you with sharp tongues, covetous of goods. Such men have no faith, and so God has made their deeds of none effect: and that is easy for God. 20. They think that the Confederates have not withdrawn; and if the Confederates should come (again), they would wish they were in the deserts (wandering) among the Bedouins, and seeking news about you (from a safe distance); and if they were in your midst, they would fight but little.
SECTION 3: Allies’ Flight: Qurayẓah Punished
21. You have indeed in the Messenger of God a beautiful pattern (of conduct) for anyone whose hope is in God and the Final Day, and who engages much in the praise of God. 22. When the Believers saw the Confederate forces, they said: “This is what God and His Messenger had promised us, and God and His Messenger told us what was true.” And it only added to their faith and their zeal in obedience. 23. Among the Believers are men who have been true to their Covenant with God: of them some have completed their vow (to the extreme), and some (still) wait: but they have never changed (their determination) in the least: 24. That God may reward the men of Truth for their Truth, and punish the Hypocrites if that be His Will, or turn to them in Mercy: for God is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.
25. And God turned back the Unbelievers for (all) their fury: no advantage did they gain; and enough is God for the believers in their fight. And God is full of Strength, Able to enforce His Will. 26. And those of the People of the Book who aided them—God did take them down from their strongholds and cast terror into their hearts. (So that) some you slew, and some you made prisoners. 27. And He made you heirs of their lands, their houses, and their goods, and of a land which you had not frequented (before). And God has power over all things.
SECTION 4: The Prophet’s Domestic Simplicity
28. O Prophet! Say to your Consorts: “If it be that you desire the life of this world, and its glitter,—then come! I will provide for your enjoyment and set you free in a handsome manner. 29. But if you seek God and His Messenger, and the Home of the Hereafter, verily God has prepared for the well-doers amongst you a great reward. 30. O Consorts of the Prophet! If any of you were guilty of evident unseemly conduct, the Punishment would be doubled to her, and that is easy for God.