Chapter 6: Cattle, Livestock
Section 14: Polytheists’ Opposition
111. Even if We did send unto them angels, and the dead did speak unto them, and We gathered together all things before their very eyes, they are not the ones to believe, unless it is in God’s plan. But most of them ignore (the truth). 112. Likewise did We make for every Messenger an enemy, - evil ones among men and jinns, inspiring each other with flowery discourses by way of deception. If your Lord had so planned, they would not have done it: so leave them and their inventions alone. 113. To such (deceit) let the hearts of those incline, who have no faith in the hereafter: let them delight in it, and let them earn from it what they may.
114. Say: "Shall I seek for judge other than God? - when He it is Who has sent unto you the Book, explained in detail." They know full well, to whom We have given the Book, that it has been sent down from your Lord in truth. Never be then of those who doubt. 115. The word of your Lord does find its fulfilment in truth and in justice: None can change His words: for He is the one who hears and knows all. 116. Were you to follow the common run of those on earth, they will lead you away from the way of God. They follow nothing but conjecture: they do nothing but lie. 117. Your Lord knows best who strays from His way: He knows best who they are that receive His guidance.
118. So eat of (meats) on which God’s name has been pronounced, if you have faith in His signs. 119. Why should you not eat of (meats) on which God’s name has been pronounced, when He has explained to you in detail what is forbidden to you - except under compulsion of necessity? But many do mislead (men) by their appetites unchecked by knowledge. Your Lord knows best those who transgress. 120. Eschew all sin, open or secret: those who earn sin will get due recompense for their "earnings." 121. Eat not of (meats) on which God’s name has not been pronounced: That would be impiety. But the evil ones ever inspire their friends to contend with you; if you were to obey them, you would indeed be Pagans.
Your Lord knows best who strays from His way: He knows best who they are that receive His guidance. (6:117)
Section 15: The Chief Opponents
122. Can he who was dead, to whom We gave life, and a light whereby he can walk amongst men, be like him who is in the depths of darkness, from which he can never come out? Thus, to those without faith their own deeds seem pleasing. 123. Thus have We placed leaders in every town, its wicked men, to plot (and burrow) therein: but they only plot against their own souls, and they perceive it not. 124. When there comes to them a sign (from God), they say: "We shall not believe until we receive one (exactly) like those received by God’s Messengers." God knows best where (and how) to carry out His mission. Soon will the wicked be overtaken by humiliation before God, and a severe punishment, for all their plots. 125. Those whom God (in His plan) wills to guide, - He opens their breast to Islam; those whom He wills to leave straying, - He makes their breast close and constricted, as if they had to climb up to the skies: thus, does God (heap) the penalty on those who refuse to believe. 126. This is the way of your Lord, leading straight: We have detailed the signs for those who receive admonition. 127. For them will be a home of peace in the presence of their Lord: He will be their friend, because they practiced (righteousness). 128. One day will He gather them all together, (and say): "O you assembly of Jinns! Much (toll) did you take of men." Their friends amongst men will say: "Our Lord! we made profit from each other: but (alas!) we reached our term - which you did appoint for us." He will say: "The Fire be your dwelling-place: you will dwell therein forever, except as God wills." for your Lord is full of wisdom and knowledge. 129. Thus do we make the wrongdoers turn to each other, because of what they earn.
For them will be a home of peace in the presence of their Lord: He will be their friend, because they practiced (righteousness). (6:127)
Section 16: Evils of Idolatry
130. "O you assembly of Jinns and men! came there not unto you Messengers from amongst you, setting forth unto you My signs, and warning you of the meeting of this Day of yours?" They will say: "We bear witness against ourselves." It was the life of this world that deceived them. So, against themselves will they bear witness that they rejected Faith. 131. (The Messengers were sent) thus, for your Lord would not destroy for their wrong-doing men's habitations whilst their occupants were unwarned. 132. To all are degrees (or ranks) according to their deeds: for your Lord is not unmindful of anything that they do. 133. Your Lord is self-sufficient, full of Mercy: if it were His will, He could destroy you, and in your place, appoint whom He will as your successors, even as He raised you up from the posterity of other people. 134. All that has been promised unto you will come to pass: nor can you frustrate it (in the least bit). 135. Say: "O my people! Do whatever you can: I will do (my part): soon will you know who it is whose end will be (best) in the Hereafter: certain it is that the wrong-doers will not prosper." 136. Out of what God has produced in abundance in tilth and in cattle, they assigned Him a share: they say, according to their fancies: "This is for God, and this" - for our "partners"! but the share of their "partners" reaches not God, whilst the share of God reaches their "partners"! Evil (and unjust) is their assignment! 137. Even so, in the eyes of most of the pagans, their "partners" made alluring the slaughter of their children, in order to lead them to their own destruction, and cause confusion in their religion. If God had willed, they would not have done so: But leave alone them and their inventions. 138. And they say that such and such cattle and crops are taboo, and none should eat of them except those whom - so they say - We wish; further, there are cattle forbidden to yoke or burden, and cattle on which, (at slaughter), the name of God is not pronounced; - inventions against God’s name: soon will He requite them for their inventions. 139. They say: "What is in the wombs of such and such cattle is specially reserved (for food) for our men, and forbidden to our women; but if it is still-born, then all have share therein. For their (false) attribution (of superstitions to God), He will soon punish them: for He is full of wisdom and knowledge. 140. Lost are those who slay their children, from folly, without knowledge, and forbid food which God has provided for them, inventing (lies) against God. They have indeed gone astray and heeded no guidance.
To all are degrees (or ranks) according to their deeds: for your Lord is not unmindful of anything that they do. (6:132)
Section 17: Idolaters’ Self-Imposed Prohibitions
141. It is He Who produces gardens, with trellises and without, and dates, and tilth with produce of all kinds, and olives and pomegranates, similar (in kind) and different (in variety): eat of their fruit in their season, but render the dues that are proper on the day that the harvest is gathered. But waste not by excess: for God loves not the wasters. 142. Of the cattle are some for burden and some for meat: eat what God has provided for you, and follow not the footsteps of Satan: for he is to you and avowed enemy. 143. (Take) eight (head of cattle) in (four) pairs: of sheep - a pair, and of goats a pair; say, has He forbidden the two males, or the two females, or (the young) which the wombs of the two females enclose? Tell me with knowledge if you are truthful: 144. Of camels - a pair, and oxen a pair; say, has He forbidden the two males, or the two females, or (the young) which the wombs of the two females enclose? - were you present when God ordered you such a thing? But who does more wrong than one who invents a lie against God, to lead astray men without knowledge? For God guides not people who do wrong.
Section 18: Prohibited Foods
145. Say: "I find not in the message received by me by inspiration any (meat) forbidden to be eaten by one who wishes to eat it, unless it be dead meat, or blood poured forth, or the flesh of swine, - for it is an abomination - or, what is impious, (meat) on which a name has been invoked - other than God’s". But (even so), if a person is forced by necessity, without willful disobedience, nor transgressing due limits, - your Lord is Oft-forgiving, Most Merciful. 146. For those who followed the Jewish Law, We forbade every (animal) with undivided hoof, and We forbade them that fat of the ox and the sheep, except what adheres to their backs or their entrails, or is mixed up with a bone: this in recompense for their willful disobedience: for We are true (in Our ordinances). 147. If they accuse you of falsehood, say: “Your Lord is full of mercy all-embracing;” but from people in guilt never will His wrath be turned back.
148. Those who give partners (to God) will say: "If God had wished, we should not have given partners to Him nor would our fathers; nor should we have had any taboos." So did their ancestors argue falsely, until they tasted of Our wrath. Say: "Have you any (certain) knowledge? If so, produce it before us. You follow nothing but conjecture: you do nothing but lie." 149. Say: "With God is the argument that reaches home: if it had been His will, He could indeed have guided you all." 150. Say: "Bring forward your witnesses to prove that God did forbid so and so." If they bring such witnesses, be not you amongst them: Nor follow you the vain desires of such as treat our signs as falsehoods, and such as believe not in the Hereafter: for they hold others as equal with their Guardian-Lord.
Section 19: Guiding Rules of Life
151. Say: "Come, I will rehearse what God has (really) prohibited you from": Join not anything as equal with Him; be good to your parents; kill not your children on a plea of want; - We provide sustenance for you and for them; - come not near to shameful deeds - whether open or secret; take not life, which God has made sacred, except by way of justice and law: thus does He command you, that you may learn wisdom. 152. And come not near to the orphan's property, except to improve it, until he attain the age of full strength; give measure and weight with (full) justice; - no burden do We place on any soul, but that which it can bear; - whenever you speak, speak justly, even if a near relative is concerned; and fulfil the covenant of God. Thus, does He command you, that you may remember. 153. Verily, this is My Way, leading straight: follow it: follow not (other) paths: they will scatter you about from His (great) path: thus, does He command you, that you may be righteous. 154. Moreover, We gave Moses the Book, completing (Our favor) to those who would do right, and explaining all things in detail, - and a guide and a mercy, that they might believe in the meeting with their Lord.
Section 20: The Goal for the Faithful
155. And this is a Book which We have revealed as a blessing: so, follow it and be righteous, that you may receive mercy: 156. Lest you should say: "The Book was sent down to two Peoples before us, and for our part, we remained unacquainted with all that they learned by assiduous study:" 157. Or lest you should say: "If the Book had only been sent down to us, we should have followed its guidance better than they." Now then has come unto you a clear (sign) from your Lord, - and a guide and a mercy: then who could do more wrong than one who rejects God’s signs, and turns away therefrom? In good time, shall We requite those who turn away from Our signs, with a dreadful penalty, for their turning away. 158. Are they waiting to see if the angels come to them, or your Lord (Himself), or certain of the signs of your Lord! The day that certain of the signs of your Lord do come, no good will it do to a soul to believe in them then if it believed not before nor earned righteousness through its faith. Say: "Wait you: we too are waiting." 159. As for those who divide their religion and break up into sects, you have no part in them in the least: their affair is with God. He will in the end tell them the truth of all that they did. 160. He that does good shall have ten times as much to his credit: He that does evil shall only be recompensed according to his evil: no wrong shall be done unto (any of) them.
And this is a Book which We have revealed as a blessing: so, follow it and be righteous, that you may receive mercy: (6:155)
161. Say: "Verily, my Lord has guided me to a way that is straight, - a religion of right, - the path (trod) by Abraham - the true in Faith, and he (certainly) joined not gods with God." 162. Say: "Truly, my prayer and my service of sacrifice, my life and my death, are (all) for God, the Cherisher of the Worlds: 163. No partner has He: this am I commanded, and I am the first of those who bow to His will.
164. Say: "Shall I seek for (my) Cherisher other than God, when He is the Cherisher of all things (that exist)? Every soul draws the meed of its acts on none but itself: no bearer of burdens can bear the burden of another. Your goal in the end is towards God. He will tell you the truth of the things wherein you disputed." 165. It is He Who has made you (His) agents, inheritors of the earth: He has raised you in ranks, some above others: that He may try you in the gifts He has given you: for Your Lord is quick in punishment: yet He is indeed Oft-forgiving, Most Merciful.
No partner has He: this am I commanded, and I am the first of those who bow to His will. (6:163)
Chapter 7: The Heights
SECTION 1: Opponents' Doom
In the name of God,
Most Gracious, Most Merciful.
1. Alif, Lam, Mim, Sad. 2. A Book revealed unto you, – So let your heart be oppressed no more by any difficulty on that account, – that with it you might warn (the erring) and teach the Believers). 3. Follow (O men!) the revelation given unto you from your Lord, and follow not, as friends or protectors, other than Him. Little it is you remember of admonition.
4. How many towns have We destroyed (for their sins)? Our punishment took them on a sudden by night or while they slept for their afternoon rest. 5. When (thus) Our punishment took them, no cry did they utter but this: "Indeed we did wrong."
6. Then shall We question those to whom Our message was sent and those by whom We sent it. 7. And verily, We shall recount their whole story with knowledge, for We were never absent (at any time or place). 8. The balance that day will be true (to nicety): those whose scale (of good) will be heavy, will prosper: 9. Those whose scale will be light, will be their souls in perdition, for that they wrongfully treated Our signs. 10. It is We Who have placed you with authority on earth, and provided you therein with means for the fulfilment of your life: small are the thanks that you give!
Follow (O men!) the revelation given unto you from your Lord, and follow not, as friends or protectors, other than Him... (7:3)
SECTION 2: The Devil's Opposition to Man
11. It is We Who created you and gave you shape; then We bade the angels bow down to Adam, and they bowed down; not so Satan; he refused to be of those who bow down. 12. (God) said: "What prevented you from bowing down when I commanded you?" He said: "I am better than he: You did create me from fire, and him from clay." 13. (God) said: "Get you down from this: it is not for you to be arrogant here: get out, for you are of the meanest (of creatures)." 14. He said: "Give me respite till the day they are raised up." 15. (God) said: "Be you among those who have respite." 16. He said: "Because you have thrown me out of the way, lo! I will lie in wait for them on your Straight Way: 17. "Then will I assault them from before them and behind them, from their right and their left: Nor will you find, in most of them, gratitude (for your mercies)." 18. (God) said: "Get out from this, disgraced and expelled. If any of them follow you, – Hell will I fill with you all.
19. "O Adam! dwell you and your wife in the Garden, and enjoy (its good things) as you wish: but approach not this tree, or you run into harm and transgression." 20. Then began Satan to whisper suggestions to them, bringing openly before their minds all their shame that was hidden from them (before): he said: "Your Lord only forbade you this tree, lest you should become angels or such beings as live forever." 21. And he swore to them both, that he was their sincere adviser. 22. So by deceit he brought about their fall: when they tasted of the tree, their shame became manifest to them, and they began to sew together the leaves of the garden over their bodies. And their Lord called unto them: "Did I not forbid you that tree, and tell you that Satan was an avowed enemy unto you?" 23. They said: "Our Lord! We have wronged our own souls: If you forgive us not and bestow not upon us Your Mercy, we shall certainly be lost." 24. (God) said: "Get you down. With enmity between yourselves. On Earth will be your dwelling-place and your means of livelihood, – for a time." 25. He said: "Therein shall you live, and therein shall you die; but from it shall you be taken out (at last)."
It is We Who created you and gave you shape; then We bade the angels bow down to Adam, and they bowed down; not so Satan; he refused to be of those who bow down. (7:11)
SECTION 3: Warning Against the Devil's Insinuations
26. O you children of Adam! We have bestowed raiment upon you to cover your shame, as well as to be an adornment to you. But the raiment of righteousness, – that is the best. Such are among the Signs of God, that they may receive admonition! 27. O you children of Adam! Let not Satan seduce you, in the same manner as he got your parents out of the Garden, stripping them of their raiment, to expose their shame: for he and his tribe watch you from a position where you cannot see them: We made the evil ones friends (only) to those without faith.
28. When they do anything that is shameful, they say: "We found our fathers doing so"; and "(God) commanded us thus": Say: "No, God never commands what is shameful: do you say of God what you know not?" 29. Say: "My Lord has commanded justice; and that you set your whole selves (to Him) at every time and place of prayer, and call upon Him, making your devotion sincere as in His sight: such as He created you in the beginning, so shall you return." 30. Some He has guided: Others have (by their choice) deserved the loss of their way; in that they took the evil ones, in preference to God, for their friends and protectors, and think that they receive guidance. 31. O children of Adam! Wear your beautiful apparel at every time and place of prayer: eat and drink: But waste not by excess, for God loves not the wasters.
O children of Adam! Wear your beautiful apparel at every time and place of prayer: eat and drink: But waste not by excess, for God loves not the wasters. (7:31)
SECTION 4: Messengers Sent for Uplift of Humanity
32. Say: Who has forbidden the beautiful (gifts) of God, which He has produced for His servants, and the things, clean and pure, (which He has provided) for sustenance? Say: They are, in the life of this world, for those who believe, (and) purely for them on the Day of Judgment. Thus do We explain the signs in detail for those who understand. 33. Say: the things that my Lord has indeed forbidden are: shameful deeds, whether open or secret; sins and trespasses against truth or reason; assigning of partners to God, for which He has given no authority; and saying things about God of which you have no knowledge.
34. To every people is a term appointed: when their term is reached, not an hour can they cause delay, nor (an hour) can they advance (it in anticipation). 35. O you Children of Adam! whenever there come to you Messengers from amongst you, rehearsing My signs unto you, – those who are righteous and mend (their lives), – on them shall be no fear nor shall they grieve. 36. But those who reject Our signs and treat them with arrogance, – they are companions of the Fire, to dwell therein (forever). 37. Who is more unjust than one who invents a lie against God or rejects His Signs? For such, their portion appointed must reach them from the Book (of decrees): until, when our messengers (of death) arrive and take their souls, they say: "Where are the things that you used to invoke besides God." They will reply, "They have left us in the lurch," And they will bear witness against themselves, that they had rejected God. 38. He will say: "Enter you in the company of the peoples who passed away before you – men and jinns, – into the Fire." Every time a new people enters, it curses its sister-people (that went before), until they follow each other, all into the Fire. Says the last about the first: "Our Lord! it is these that misled us: so give them a double penalty in the Fire." He will say: "Doubled for all": but this you do not understand. 39. Then the first will say to the last: "See then! No advantage have you over us; so taste you of the penalty for all that you did!"
O you Children of Adam! whenever there come to you Messengers from amongst you, rehearsing My signs unto you, – those who are righteous and mend (their lives), – on them shall be no fear nor shall they grieve. (7:35)
SECTION 5: Those Who Accept the Message
40. To those who reject Our signs and treat them with arrogance, no opening will there be of the gates of heaven, nor will they enter the garden, until the camel can pass through the eye of the needle: Such is Our reward for those in sin. 41. For them there is Hell, as a couch (below) and folds and folds of covering above: such is Our requital of those who do wrong.
42. But those who believe and work righteousness, – no burden do We place on any soul, but that which it can bear, – they will be Companions of the Garden, therein to dwell (forever). 43. And We shall remove from their hearts any lurking sense of injury; – beneath them will be rivers flowing; – and they shall say: "Praise be to God, who has guided us to this (felicity): never could we have found guidance, had it not been for the guidance of God. Indeed it was the truth, that the Messengers of our Lord brought unto us." And they shall hear the cry: "Behold! the garden before you! You have been made its inheritors, for your deeds (of righteousness)." 44. The Companions of the Garden will call out to the Companions of the Fire: "We have indeed found the promises of our Lord to us true: Have you also found Your Lord's promises true?" They shall say, "Yes"; but a crier shall proclaim between them: "The curse of God is on the wrong-doers; – 45. "Those who would hinder (men) from the path of God and would seek in it something crooked: they were those who denied the Hereafter." 46. Between them shall be a veil, and on the heights will be men who would know everyone by his marks: they will call out to the Companions of the Garden, "peace on you": they will not have entered, but they will have an assurance (thereof). 47. When their eyes shall be turned towards the Companions of the Fire, they will say: "Our Lord! send us not to the company of the wrong-doers."
SECTION 6: Helplessness of Opponents
48. The men on the heights will call to certain men whom they will know from their marks, saying: "Of what profit to you were your hoards and your arrogant ways? 49. "Behold! are these not the men whom you swore that God with His Mercy would never bless? Enter you the Garden: no fear shall be on you, nor shall you grieve." 50. The Companions of the Fire will call to the Companions of the Garden: "Pour down to us water or anything that God does provide for your sustenance." They will say: "Both these things has God forbidden to those who rejected Him." 51. "Such as took their religion to be mere amusement and play, and were deceived by the life of the world." That Day shall We forget them as they forgot the meeting of this day of theirs, and as they were wont to reject Our signs. 52. For We had certainly sent unto them a Book, based on knowledge, which We explained in detail, – a guide and a mercy to all who believe. 53. Do they just wait for the final fulfilment of the Event? On the Day the Event is finally fulfilled, those who disregarded it before will say: "The Messengers of our Lord did indeed bring true (tidings). Have we no intercessors now to intercede on our behalf? Or could we be sent back? Then should we behave differently from our behavior in the past." In fact they will have lost their souls, and the things they invented will leave them in the lurch.
For We had certainly sent unto them a Book, based on knowledge, which We explained in detail, – a guide and a mercy to all who believe. (7:52)
SECTION 7: The Righteous Will Prosper
54. Your Guardian-Lord is God, Who created the heavens and the earth in six days, and is firmly established on the throne (of authority): He draws the night as a veil over the day, each seeking the other in rapid succession: He created the sun, the moon, and the stars, (all) governed by laws under His command. Is it not His to create and to govern? Blessed be God, the Cherisher and Sustainer of the worlds! 55. Call on your Lord with humility and in private: for God loves not those who trespass beyond bounds. 56. Do no mischief on the earth, after it has been set in order, but call on Him with fear and longing (in your hearts): for the Mercy of God is (always) near to those who do good. 57. It is He Who sends the winds like heralds of glad tidings, going before His mercy: when they have carried the heavy-laden clouds, We drive them to a land that is dead, make rain to descend thereon, and produce every kind of harvest therewith: thus shall We raise up the dead: perchance you may remember. 58. From the land that is clean and good, by the will of its Cherisher, springs up produce, (rich) after its kind: but from the land that is bad, springs up nothing but that which is niggardly: thus do We explain the signs by various (symbols) to those who are grateful.
...He created the sun, the moon, and the stars, (all) governed by laws under His command. Is it not His to create and to govern? Blessed be God, the Cherisher and Sustainer of the worlds! (7:54)
SECTION 8: Prophet Noah
59. We sent Noah to his people. He said: "O my people! worship God; you have no other god but Him. I fear for you the punishment of a Dreadful Day! 60. The leaders of his people said: "Ah! we see you evidently wandering (in mind)." 61. He said: "O my people! No wandering is there in my (mind): on the contrary, I am a Messenger from the Lord and Cherisher of the worlds! 62. "I but fulfill towards you the duties of my Lord's mission: Sincere is my advice to you, and I know from God something that you know not. 63. "Do you wonder that there has come to you a message from your Lord, through a man of your own people, to warn you, – so that you may fear God and haply receive His Mercy?" 64. But they rejected him, and We delivered him, and those with him, in the Ark: but We overwhelmed in the flood those who rejected Our signs. They were indeed a blind people!
We sent Noah to his people. He said: "O my people! worship God; you have no other god but Him. I fear for you the punishment of a Dreadful Day! (7:59)
SECTION 9: Prophet Eber
65. To the 'Ad people, (We sent) Eber, one of their (own) brethren: He said: O my people! worship God; you have no other god but Him; will you not fear (God)?" 66. The leaders of the Unbelievers among his people said: "Ah! we see you are an imbecile!" and "We think you are a liar!" 67. He said: "O my people! I am no imbecile, but (I am) a Messenger from the Lord and Cherisher of the worlds! 68. "I but fulfill towards you the duties of my Lord's mission: I am to you a sincere and trustworthy adviser. 69. "Do you wonder that there has come to you a message from your Lord through a man of your own people, to warn you? Call in remembrance that He made you inheritors after the people of Noah, and gave you a stature tall among the nations. Call in remembrance the benefits (you have received) from God; that you may prosper." 70. They said: "Come you to us, that we may worship God alone, and give up the cult of our fathers? Bring us what you threaten us with, if so be that you tell the truth!" 71. He said: "Punishment and wrath have already come upon you from your Lord: dispute you with me over names which you have devised – you and your fathers, – without authority from God. then wait: I am amongst you, also waiting." 72. We saved him and those who adhered to him. By Our mercy, and We cut off the roots of those who rejected Our signs and did not believe.
SECTION 10: Prophets Saleh and Lot
73. To the Thamud people (We sent) Saleh, one of their own brethren: He said: "O my people! worship God; you have no other god but Him. Now has come unto you a clear (Sign) from your Lord! This she-camel of God is a Sign unto you: So leave her to graze in God’s earth, and let her come to no harm, or you shall be seized with a grievous punishment. 74. "And remember how He made you inheritors after the 'Ad people and gave you habitations in the land: you build for yourselves palaces and castles in (open) plains, and carve out homes in the mountains; so bring to remembrance the benefits (you have received) from God, and refrain from evil and mischief on the earth." 75. The leaders of the arrogant party among his people said to those who were reckoned powerless – those among them who believed: "Know you indeed that Saleh is a Messenger from his Lord?" They said: "We do indeed believe in the revelation which has been sent through him." 76. The arrogant party said: "For our part, we reject what you believe in." 77. Then they hamstrung the she-camel, and insolently defied the order of their Lord, saying: "O Saleh! Bring about your threats, if you are a Messenger (of God)!" 78. So the earthquake took them unaware, and they lay prostrate in their homes in the morning! 79. So Saleh left them, saying: "O my people! I did indeed convey to you the message for which I was sent by my Lord: I gave you good counsel, but you love not good counselors!"
80. We also (sent) Lot: He said to his people: "Do you commit lewdness such as no people in creation (ever) committed before you? 81. "For you practice your lusts on men in preference to women: you are indeed a people transgressing beyond bounds." 82. And his people gave no answer but this: they said, "Drive them out of your city: these are indeed men who want to be clean and pure!" 83. But We saved him and his family, except his wife: she was of those who lagged behind. 84. And We rained down on them a shower (of brimstone): Then see what was the end of those who indulged in sin and crime!
SECTION 11: Prophet Shu'aib
85. To the Madyan people We sent Shu'aib, one of their own brethren: he said: "O my people! worship God; you have no other god but Him. Now has come unto you a clear (Sign) from your Lord! Give just measure and weight, nor withhold from the people the things that are their due; and do no mischief on the earth after it has been set in order: that will be best for you, if you have Faith. 86. "And squat not on every road, breathing threats, hindering from the path of God those who believe in Him, and seeking in it something crooked; But remember how you were little, and He gave you increase. And hold in your mind's eye what was the end of those who did mischief. 87. "And if there is a party among you who believes in the message with which I have been sent, and a party which does not believe, hold yourselves in patience until God does decide between us: for He is the best to decide.